Chapter 2.20: Cadets

 <-- Previous Chapter


From Leo's diary

Several months have passed since when we moved here, it's winter now. Tonight it started snowing, and we were all stuck in front of the window staring at the town turn whiter and whiter.


At this rate, we could also be able to make our first snowman. In Oasis Spring snow days are so rare, so we can't wait to enjoy the positive sides of this colder climate up north. 

However, today I won't have the time for playing outdoor: it's my first day at work!

I thought a lot about what career to pursue. I wanted to be in a position similar to the one of my mom and dad, who are doing their best to help the other aliens (in disguise or not) to live as normal lives as possible despite the discrimination we are facing more and more often. 

After a lot of thinking, I took my choice: I would have enrolled as a police cadet. 


At first sight, my choice could sound illogical. Policemen are the ones enforcing Mr S. laws after all,  many aliens just consider them as their enemies. However, I can imagine so many instances where it would be useful for the aliens to have some friendly faces among the policemen. For example, I would be able to help aliens reported for any crime receive more equal treatments, as well as those who (too often) are unfairly accused to avoid any repercussions. Also, if I heard of any complaint concerning the use of disguises or telepathy from other aliens, I could warn those families in advance and, in case, help them if they decided to move somewhere else.

To be fair, there is also another reason why I chose this career path: since the days of the scout group I had liked the feeling of being part of a group of people in uniform who help others.


I admit being a bit nervous, like the other cadets who started today with me. We are all starting a new phase of our lives after all, we all have much to learn.


As our first assignment, we were sent to deal with a suspected case of pickpocketing. Our superiors really gathered quite a lot of information to pin on that big bulletin board, considering how easy the case seems. For sure, they are taking any report very seriously here. 

We were sent to a meadow in the middle of nowhere, where a lady was unceremoniously railing against her alleged pickpockets.


Lady
: They were the ones who stole my necklace, I'm sure!
Leo: And how would the theft have happened?
Lady: Well, I ​​don't know... But who else could it have been?


The lady who called us reporting the theft kept looking down at those two poor aliens who, in turn, seemed so scared of the situation. I couldn't know if they were the real culprits or not, but I didn't need to read her mind to know she had strong prejudices against them.

Following the rules, we then started looking for clues and evidences nearby.


Leo: Madam, what colour was your necklace?
Lady: It had a big emerald set in a pendant of...
Leo: Like this one?

The necklace had fallen into a small bush not far from there, but it had taken us over an hour before we saw it. At that point the lady had withdrawn her complaint, without much conviction she had apologized to those two aliens, and eventually all of them had then returned to their homes.

We treated them all fairly, found the neckless quickly and resolved that pickpocket report professionally. Overall, I would say we did a good job. 


Back at the police station, they told us to take care of the collection of mug shots and fingerprints, as well as the searches of the suspects. We never have a moment for resting, here at the police station.




Thieves, tax evaders, counterfeiters, humans, aliens... For sure there are many different types of criminals.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I told my family  I would have returned back home a couple of hours later because I had to work some extra hours, but instead I went to a small village just outside of Windenburg to meet Claire.


My family still doesn't know anything about our relationship, and of course hers doesn't either.


Claire: Can I call you a cop now? I'm sure you look stunning in that uniform!
Leo: Ehm...
Claire: Come on, I was joking! But seriously, how did your first day at work go?
Leo: We spent most of the day looking for a necklace not far from here. 
Claire: A necklace... I think I have heard about it, you know? Mrs Villareal looked really angry!
Leo: Surely she was...


TV: Moving on to the next elections, Mr. S. continues to lead the polls. Let's hear what he has to say...


Leo: C'mon, even in this pub they have to watch that channel?
Claire: I'm just asking the owner to turn it off, I can't stand to ear to his nonsense gibberish any longer...

Claire always frowned when someone mentioned Mr S., which is why I tried to avoid the topic as much as I could. Yet, I know that at their home they quarrelled more and more often, and at that point she couldn't wait to turn 18, graduate and be able to leave those people she had never really considered as her family.

And I too would have liked to help her to get away from those people who only made her suffer, and who forced her to show herself to someone other than the one who really purely in order to save their reputation. 


She, however, never looked like someone who has given up. On the contrary, the more time goes by, the more determined she seems to be to get in her father’s way.

My family may think we are wrong, that all of this is too risky for all of us. But the more time passes, the more I am convinced that I want to stay by Claire's side, whatever happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment