Chapter 4.3: Leaving the burrow

 <--Previous Chaper

From Luke's diary


Knock Knock

Leo: (from the other side of the door) Luke, it's me, can I come in for a sec?
Luke: The door is not locked. 
Leo: I will take that as a yes.


Luke: I'm busy, what do you want to talk about this time?
Leo: Nothing in particular, just some chatting.


Luke: ... And Lyra's also here. Great.

Dad retired a few weeks ago, while I'm not sure whether Lyra is actually working or not. Either way, they seem to have enough free time to often knock at my door for chatting with me. Mum is almost never at home instead, her job as the President of New Sixam is (unsurprisingly) very demanding. 
I would rather not be wasting my time chatting now, I have a few data I would like to analyse before dinnertime. To avoid wasting any more time, I asked them to go straight to the point by saying:

Luke: Did something happen?
Leo: We just wanted to talk about a thing. We know you've been very busy lately, but...
Lyra: ... why didn't you tell us you were publishing a book? 
Luke: Did Misty tell you?
Lyra: Of course she did!
Luke: I see...


Leo: It's a great book, I bought it at the store even before Lyra told me you were the writer!
Lyra: Why did you use that silly pen name, by the way? You could be famous!
Luke: That's exactly one of the reasons why I decided to use a pseudonym. 
Lyra: You mean I can't say it to anyone? I could write about it on my blog for example, it'd be a great adv....
Luke: Please, don't! I just prefer to remain anonymous, it's my choice.
Lyra: But...

Leo: I think I agree with Luke on this point, instead. I mean, look at your mother, now that she's famous she can't go anywhere without strangers asking her questions, or wanting a picture with her.  I mean, she's very happy about what she's doing, but sometimes she just wants to hide here at home where she can be herself for a while.
Luke: Thanks dad, that's definitively one of my points as well. 

This said, the conversation switched to the content of my book. They had actually read it, and wanted to discuss a certain part, or to have more details about that other chapter. We never talk about these topics at home, it was a nice change.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Misty: ... well, how could I not tell Lyra? She's a good friend of mine, and she seemed also quite worried seeing you writing in your room all the time without explaining to your family what you were doing, you know?
Luke: I see...
Misty: Anyway, what about a lemonade? it's so hot here during this season...
Luke: Okay, why not.

I tried to offer her the beverage, but I wasn't surprised when she refused. I keep trying to pay for this kind of trivial little things because I know she's quite short on money, but at this point I should probably resign to the fact that she's too proud to accept any gift.

So we took the two glasses of lemonade from the stand, sat at the closest table and continued chatting.


Luke: But how did you go from being a cheerleader to joining the army?
Misty: I get this question all the time, you know? Well, you have to know I was in the cheerleaders only because I liked doing flips and stunts. Other than that, I've never got why people talk so much about the cheerleaders.

The more time we spent together, the more I realised that she was a very different person from what she seemed on the surface. And the more I found out about her, the more curious I was to know more. But how much could I ask, without seeming intrusive?

Luke: Misty, I don't want to be inappropriate, but I was wondering, I mean...
Misty: (amused) What's that face now? Just ask what you've in mind!
Luke: I mean, you seem to be working very hard at the moment, as if you had already some goal clear in mind.
Misty: Ah. You're curious?
Luke: A little, I admit.
Misty: Well, you know that my family is not as rich as yours. My parents have always done their best for me and my siblings, but now I think that it would be unfair to keep being a burden on their shoulders. And then I want to save enough money to buy a house, and to start my own family. I think that's what a lot of other people wish for, isn't it?
Luke: Um.
Misty: And if I want to reach that goal I need to keep doing my best!

I didn't find anything to say at the moment. She said those things as if it they were normal and obvious to her... Yet, I envy quite a bit her determination and and the clearness of her proposition for her future, at the moment. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------

From Lyra's diary

I and Ariana passed from the library today, I needed to check if they still had some copies of a magazine I was looking for to write a post on my blog.

Meeting Misty in there was a real surprise, we haven't seen her for a while in the last few weeks and for sure we weren't expecting to see her in a library.


Lyra: Ehi, Misty, what a surprise! What are you doing here?
Misty: (caught off guard) what... Oh, Lyra, Ariana, hi! I was just, ehm... Reading a bit, you know...


Lyra: Isn't it the book Luke wrote? I was sure you read the drafts already!
Misty: Well, yes, but I was curious to see the actual book too, you know? 
Lyra: Couldn't you just ask him for a copy? We have a ton of those at home!
Misty: Probably yes, but, I mean, I...


Misty: I actually just remembered a thing, I have to go to, ehm... to the construction site, it's for work, you know?
Lyra: ...
Misty: See you!

Lyra: (watching Misty leaving) Is it just me, or was she glowing?
Ariana: Quite a bit, yes.
Lyra: uhm...

Suspicious, very suspicious. Sometimes I struggle to understand what Misty is thinking about, because I can't believe that she could ever, I mean...

I don't know what to think about this. But I think it's time to make some questions to Luke, too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Luke's diary


Lyra: (suspicious) Lately you and Misty are always together... Are you sure nothing happened?
Luke: (cautious) What makes you think so?
Lyra: Well, yesterday we met her at the library downtown, she was reading that book of yours. We found it a bit suspicious, but when we tried to ask her she was glowing like crazy and found a silly excuse to run away, you know?
Luke: Oh.
Lyra: It's that all you have to say?
Luke: I don't see why I should tell you, it's...
Lyra: Well, then you oblige me to do so.


Luke: C'mon Lyra, not again!


Lyra: (puzzled) What a mess... I didn't understand anything this time, you know?
Luke: You're not the only confused one, then.

I hate being unable to describe how I feel, but thinking about Misty I can't find any better term if not "confused". 
I can't say I have much experience with girls, but this is so different to how I felt for Serena...

When I was with her I always gave my best, trying to show her my best side at all times. We were always talking about history, philosophy and the latest news but, in the end, I can't say we really knew each other. Now, the more I think about it, the more that seems like a shallow and childish crush to me.

But now it all seems so different. When I met Misty for the first time, I had the impression she was a not particularly smart girl who liked to wave pom poms at football games, but the more time passes the more I realise the extent at which first impressions can be completely and totally wrong.

We spent a lot of time together since when we moved to New Sixam, now I feel like I've known her for a lifetime. I know she likes strawberries, but she would always sprinkle a bit of sugar on them before eating them. I know that she is an active person, and that she struggles to sit still for a long time. I know that she is spontaneous and sincere, and that she always speaks out aloud whatever is in her mind. And she is also loyal to her friends and very determined in everything she does, when she decides to do something there is no way to make her change her mind.

She has seen the worst of me: she was there when I bragged about my good grades, and she never lost her patience with me even when I got grumpy or started any rant. And she was also the person who, above anyone else, always tried to convince me to go out and live my life, also when all I wanted to do was to lock into my room and write all day long.
Despite everything, she continues to want to spend time with me, to talk to me, to encourage me. I'm doing my best to do the same for her, yet it never feels like it's enough. To be honest, I still struggle to understand what I did to deserve having her in my life.

What I feel for her is not like the crush I had for Serena, not at all. And it was probably time to address it.

------------------------------------------------
A few days later, Strangerville main square:


Luke: (a bit nervous) How was work today?
Misty: We have almost finished the new hospital ward, tomorrow we are bringing in the furniture and it will be done!
Luke: Oh! That's... that's great, yeah...

Misty: (perplexed) Are you all right? You seem a bit... distracted.
Luke: (embarrassed) Actually I, I mean... Today I wanted to talk to you about something, I...

Her perplexed expression soon turned into a smile. I don't know if she managed to read what I was about to say from my expression, or if she caught a slight glow even in full sunlight. Yet, she came closer to tell me:

Misty: I think to know what you want to talk about, you know?



Taking the initiative was just like her, I should have expected it.


A lot has happened since we arrived in New Sixam. But this could be my happiest day since.

1 comment:

  1. I love that kiss! It caught me by surprise, but I've been rooting for them, and it was so perfect.

    ReplyDelete