Chapter 5.12: Goodbye

 <-- Previous Chapter

From Cassy's diary

Both dad and mom are very old at this point and, albeit their attempts not to show it to us, it is becoming clearer and clearer day after day.


For this reason, we cannot say that we were really taken aback when, one night, dad collapsed on the ground, unconscious.

After being at our side for so long, dad eventually passed away. We were told many words by people who were trying to console us, such as: "He had lived a full life after all", or that "he hadn't left behind any regrets", but none of these words could really help us.

That night, Venus and Steve decided to spend a night in their new, almost renovated house, in order to start sorting out their things early the following day. So only I and mum were present when it happened.

Given the situation, mum really surprised me. Albeit she was clearly feeling very sad, most likely even sadder than I was, she immediately did her best to comfort me. She's really a strong person, and I have to admit I really admire her a lot for this.


----------------------------------------------------------------

From Venus' diary

When Cassy called us in the middle of the night, we already knew it couldn't be good news.

Cassy and mum came by early the next morning, we were all so sad and we felt the need to face the situation all together.



Steve: I'm really sorry about your dad, really.
Venus: ...

We tried to not let dad's passing overwhelm us, after all we know very well that seeing us like this, unable to react, he would just have responded with one of his famous lectures. He was a bit of a grouch, but in the end we all loved each other dearly...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Cassy's diary



Toq: (uncertain) Cassiopeia, I've been to the library and they told me that Mr Luke...

I wasn't very surprised to see him around again, he was always visiting the library where dad used to spend so much time, which is right in front of our home. We were often chatting too, but I wasn't sure I was in the mood for talking with him that day.

Cassy: ...


Toq
: you are very sad.

It was not a question, but a simple statement. To be honest, I was crying alone on a bench and it was very probable that I was glowing with a blue colour too, all of New Sixam had probably noticed my sadness, regardless of their telepathic abilities.

Cassy: Well, it's normal that I'm sad, isn't it? What you call "Mr Luke" was my dad, you know that right?
Toq: Yes, I knew that.

I'm not sure Toq really understands why I'm so sad, after all I've never heard him talk about any family. From what I've learnt about them, they grow up in a very different environment from us, for all I know he may not have any family at all.
But at least he seems to realize how much this loss has saddened me.


Toq: Maybe you should play that game again, chess.

It might have seemed like a nonsensical comment, but she had said it with a seriousness that made me immediately rule out the hypothesis he could be joking. So I decided to give him a chance, to try to understand what he actually had in mind.



We played for a while, but in the meanwhile my thoughts were derailing. Thinking about it, the same way he had noticed my sadness today, he had probably also noticed my happiness that time when we played chess together. Clumsy as it was, this could then be a simple attempt to cheer me up a bit.

What perhaps he didn't realize, though, was that that simple demonstration of kindness was already enough to make me feel a little better.


Cassy: You're a very good friend, you know that?

At first he seemed taken aback by this statement, but his expression of doubt soon turned into a half smile. The idea of ​​being friends didn't seem to bother him, I would say.

And, after all, I was really feeling a bit better than before he came. To be honest, being friends sounded about right also for me. 


-----------------------------------------------------------------------
§HermioneSims§ corner

I realise this chapter was quite short, but I really wanted to dedicate some time to Luke's departure. By this point in the legacy I should have learnt already how the game works, but it always hits hard...

So that writing this kind of very sad chapters is very difficult for me, the next chapter will start a couple of months later, when everyone is back to their everyday lives. 

Meanwhile, goodbye Luke, I will miss writing about you ;( 

No comments:

Post a Comment