Chapter 5.26: Birthdays again

 <-- Previous Chapter

From Cassy's diary

If there is one thing I know for sure, it's that we have a lot to think about. And what better way to do so than by playing chess?


Cassy: (thoughtfully) We've always been taught that memory erasing is irreversible, and this is why we should never use it. I honestly didn't expect you to be able to recover lost memories, instead.
Toq: Memory is complex, both when information is added and when it is removed it leaves perceptible discontinuities in the train of thought for a long time.
Cassy: But how can you put them back in place, in practice?
Toq: Erased memories always leave some trace behind them, especially when the work is done inaccurately as in this case. 


Cassy: So are those traces enough for you to reconstruct memories? 
Toq: Sometimes, but it is not always possible. Recent changes are easier to reverse, for example.
Cassy: Are you sure you managed to find all my memories?
Toq: I do not notice any other discontinuities in your train of thought, but it's impossible to be completely sure.
Cassy: I see.


Cassy: Do you think Arizhel knows that I have already recovered my memory?
Toq: I do not think she expected you to be the one finding them on the Moon, she probably had to make up a plan quickly. And I also suspect that she did not expect me to be capable of reconstructing those memories in such a short time either, or else she would have adopted a different tactic with you.

He remained silent for a moment with an even more serious face than usual, before adding:

Toq: You have been lucky.
Cassy: I haven't had time to see much anyway, but it should be enough to make a report to our bosses and have them initiate an official investigation.
Toq: ...
Cassy: What are you thinking about?
Toq: I am quite sure she just planned to gain some time, most likely they have left already. Anyway, I know that Arizhel always has a plan B, but I wonder what could it be...

Yes, there are still many question marks on this matter, it will take time before we may answer them all. But we're still playing chess, so...


Cassy: Checkmate!

Toq may know my moves in advance by reading my mind, but he's still too slow to beat me!

-------------------------------------------------
Meanwhile time passes inexorably, would you ever believe that Sirio's birthday has already arrived, my dear diary?



I know I've already commented how similar he is to Toq, but isn't it so evident? Also, why are they always so serious when I try to take pictures for our family album?



Cassy: Oh, what a shame, I was convinced that the high school still had painting classes!
Sirio: This year they have decided to replace them with a ceramics workshop, as if it was the same. Bah...


Cassy: Well, nothing prevents you from painting here at home, then!
Sirio: In fact, I planned to try out your present right away!

Indeed, Sirio continues to spend most of his free time drawing and painting. But if as a child he just filled sheets over sheets with his crayons, now he has started to paint real paintings on canvas. He looks like a budding artist, don't you agree, dear diary?


He's also continuing to play his violin, even though he's the first to admit that it's still too early to call music the sounds coming from that instrument...


Cassy: It's not too bad, I'm quite sure I recognised the song!

^
Actually, at least someone seems to be enjoying that "music".
--------------------------------------------------
Halley remains much more sociable than Sirio is, and would also seem to be the only one capable of convincing him to leave the house a bit, from time to time.


Halley: C'mon, Sirio, let's go to the park!
Sirio: Ehm... Well, why not.


Halley: Emergency take off, hurry up!
Sirio: (playful) Don't forget about the space monster though!



Halley: C'mon, do you think that's scary?

Halley often plays in the park after school, and most of the other kids who usually play there soon became her friends. I would say she's a rather popular little girl in her school.



She also has a best friend, her name is Sophia. Or, at least, she always talks about her at home, so we think they are best friends. If I'm not wrong, Sirio told me she's the one with the red pigtails in this last photo.

Halley is only a year younger than Sirio, so her birthday also came in no time.



She seems to have a very, ehm... modern style. Yet is suits her, isn't it my dear diary?


Halley: I saw that soon there will be student elections, I think I might actually give it a go, you know?
Sirio: What? But you haven't even started high school yet, who could ever vote for you?
Halley: (mocking him) "who could ever vote for you, boo ooh...". You're always the usual buzz-kill!
Sirio: But...
Halley and her friends: (in chorus) Buzz-kill, buzz-kill!


Hearing them talk like this makes me nostalgic, I miss my high school and college years quite a lot... And, judging by their expressions, I'd say that it's the same for Venus and Steve too. It seems like just a few years have passed since then, but it's already up to our children to have all these experiences instead. Time really passes by quickly, that's for sure...


--------------------------------------------------
§HermioneSims§ corner
This time I don't have particular remarks, as you can see the chapter mostly focuses on Sirio and Halley turning into teens. And for sure this will lead to some change from the next chapter, at this point they are old enough to be involved in the usual troubles the Miller family is always attracted to...

As a funny closure, I want to return to the first scene instead with some behind-the-scenes pictures:





Toq really tried hard to win, even too much, yet Cassy really seems unbeatable XD

1 comment:

  1. I love that Toq can't beat Cassy at chess even though he can read her mind! She must be amazing. Sirio and Halley look great as teens. It's kind of bittersweet to see them growing up. Since I've read this generation so slowly and it has the most chapters so far, I feel particularly attached. I'm not really looking forward to Cassy's or Venus' birthday. At any rate, I always enjoy Nacho's cameos.

    ReplyDelete