Chapter 7.22: New start

 <-- Previous chapter

From Alba's diary


Alba: So, how's going with the other scouts? Are you having fun?
Rowan: Yes, we do a lot of different stuff. And I'm doing a very good job too, I already received three badges!
Alba: You're always working very hard, I'm sure you deserve them!


Rowan: At this rate, in a few years I will be able to become a team leader! It would be so cool, right?
Alba: Yes, of course.

Rowan is a little competitive sometimes, but as long as he's having fun I guess I don't need to worry too much about it. Isn't it, my dear diary?

But our child isn't the only one getting busy, the work never stops! We may have taken off that great burden that Drew was, but we soon remembered that that wasn't our only worry.


After all, my job is to restore these islands to their original state, and we won't stop until we understand who decided to use them as their personal illegal landfill instead.


Alba: You are really doing a fantastic job cleaning the beaches, thank you very much!
Scout Leader: You're welcome, our aim is precisely to help when needed.
Rowan: (reaching them) I mum!


Alba: Considering that today we've all worked very hard, would you all like to have some fun at the party at the central square?
Scout Leader: Yes, we really earned it! C'mon everyone, to the square!
Rowan: Ehy, wait! I was still finishing my homework!



Alba: Ehi, Olivier, so you joined us too!
Olivier: I could hear the music from home, so I decided to come, yes!

Olivier is probably the one who is struggling the most in this period, even if he does everything he can to keep his worries to himself. His boss has decided to "give him a break from his job", she wants to verify that he didn't do anything harmful to the company when he was under Drew's mind control. For him, losing that job would be just terrible, but all we can do is cross our fingers and hope for the best...

------------------------------------------------------
Meanwhile the months pass, we are now in the middle of summer, and we decided to organize a party all here at our house. It's never hard to convince anyone to join us here on Sulani, but in summer they are often the ones asking to be invited instead.


Olivier: (to himself) A nice barbecue is just what we need today, what beautiful weather!


Iris: Hey, hi Nacho! Aren't you feeling too hot with all that fur?
Nacho: Meow!


For the occasion I also prepared a bowl of Kava, which here in the archipelago is traditionally drunk to cheer up and calm the soul. Also because there is someone here who really seems to need it...


Alba: Are you okay, Helios? You have a face today…
Helios: (distracted) What? Oh, sure, I'm fine, you don't have any need to worry...


Alba: (whispering) Ehi, you two... By chance, do you know what happened to your dad?
Iris: (whispering) He's behaving this way since when Kate left.
Alba: (whispering) What, she left? But why?
River: (whispering)  She said that now that dad had his memories back and Drew has been arrested she was given new assignments, that's all.
Alba: (whispering)  Okay, but why didn't she...
Helios: I can hear you, you know? And I dont' want to talk about this, so...

Saying so he shook his head, to then go outside, in the garden. Poor him, he seems so sad and frustrated... How was it possible that, after all the time they spent together, Kate just left saying that her job there was done? It seemed absurd, that couldn't be all the truth. 


(From outdoors) Rowan: Hey, why are you still all there? We're all going to the beach, c'mon!




By the end of the day, everyone seemed to have had fun. Yes, even Helios, who bursted out laughing a few times while playing with the rest of us on the beach. 

I don't know yet how could I do it, but I absolutely want to talk with Kate. I just can't see my brother in this state any longer, I want to understand. And, possibly, I also want to convince her to talk with Helios again!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad everyone's getting a break but I wish Olivier's wasn't forced. Perhaps he can pursue music for a while (hopefully). Kate is busy, but she's too cool to simply disappear. I hope that she and Helios can at least have a friendly relationship.

    ReplyDelete