Chapter 8.13: Transition

 <-- Previous Chapter

From Rowan's diary


Juno: Well, at least the rain is stopping...

The weeks are passing, and if it wasn't for the slow drop in the temperature it would be hard to really notice any advancement in the season. 

Also our home routine isn't really changing much, and the evening chat when preparing dinner remains a central part of our day.

Juno: I still can't understand why the robots wanted to go to Sixam, for sure there were also other ways to negotiate with the earthlings, right?

This is a comment I hear often, perhaps because the majority of the sixamians were not as involved in the robot plans as my family was, and therefore cared less about it. 


Rowan: You only heard about it on TV, by chance?
Juno: Like everyone, yes.
Rowan: Actually...


It was actually curious that we hadn't addressed this topic before, but it's also true that my family has so many absurd old stories to talk about that missing some of them isn't really that unlikely, after all.

Rowan: I remember it well instead, my family was affected quite closely by it. Actually, one of the robots who left lived with uncle Helios for decades, and mom always says they were already around when she was a kid too.
Juno: (surprised) What, seriously?
Rowan: (nods) I didn't know them well because they couldn't come to Sulani, they were banned from international travel for some reason, but mom always spoke well of them. It was a big shock for everyone.
Juno: So what did you think about the robots' stance?
Rowan: To make a long story short, they calculated numerous projections relating to the evolution of the Earth's climate scenario, and their calculations seemed to say that from now on the situation will only worsen to the point of making it impossible to maintain the comfortable lifestyle we know. So they decided to abandon us to our fate and seek for fortune elsewhere.
Juno: I see... However, in your opinion, were their calculations right?
Rowan: Well, most likely. They literally have computers instead of brains, right? But they never said that our chances of finding an at least acceptable solution were zero, only that they were too low by their standards. I think it will be difficult, and that radical changes will need to be made to achieve some results, but I don't believe we have lost this challenge already.
Juno: (nods thoughtfully)

Suddenly, we were interrupted by the sound of loud music coming from the square in front of our apartment. So, we immediately rushed to our bedroom window to try to locate the source.

The city is chaotic and full of things to do as always and, unsurprisingly, a food fair seemed to have sprung up like a mushroom right below our window. Both the noise and the smell were quickly reaching us, so we might as well go down and take a look, we said to ourselves. This might have also solved the problem of what to have for dinner, actually.


Rowan(perplexed) It looks like a spicy food fair.


Juno: Uhm, it doesn't seem that spicy to me though. Maybe we should try the curry over there instead, what do you think?

Rowan: (a bit worried) Wait, are you sure? I mean, I don't know if it is a good idea, those dishes seem to be on fire, literally!
Juno: But I'm curious! Why don't we try a plate, just to see if it is at least edible?
Rowan:


Juno: You see, it isn't that spicy after all!
Rowan: (tearing up a bit) Um um...

It still took us several minutes to finish that dish, as far as I'm concerned the main reason why I refused to give up was to avoid wasting it, because after the fourth bite I was already tearing up. Juno, on the other hand, didn't bat an eyelid, I didn't know she was so resistant to spicy stuff... In either case, my dear diary, this is when we got our spicy curry challenge T-shirt.


In any case, all the time it took to finish eating gave us a chance to look around. It was full of plastic plates and cutlery thrown on the floor that no one seemed to care about, no one except us of course. We had found ourselves in similar situations several times, and in the end we decided that it was worth trying to make our voice count.


Juno: Stop disposable tableware, do you even know how many centuries it takes before it disappears? And how many tons of that stuff are there already in the sea? Is it really that hard to wash a few dishes, uh?

We were a bit afraid of being caught like idiots protesting in the middle of a square, but some of the others present soon came to support us instead. Maybe it wasn't a lost battle after all, maybe a small glimpse of a dialogue possibility really existed, after all!

A little reassured by the positive feedback we had just received, we eventually returned to our apartment. We had to be at the office early the next day, we needed to get some sleep. Or, at least, that was the initial plan.


Juno: (euphoric) For a moment I was afraid that someone could call the police, but instead so many people joined the protest! 
Rowan: I'm surprised too, I have to admit it.
Juno: What's that serious face, come on! It was so cool!




For sure we balance out each other a lot. Or, at the very least, I have to admit that without Juno my life would be way more boring and less funny.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also this autumn is approaching its end, in Sulani this is the peak of the monsoon season. Bad weather or not, however, I still decided to go visit my parents over the weekend. I may have a very busy schedule now, but I still miss both my parents and that archipelago a lot.



Alba: Hi, how are you?
Rowan: I'm fine... But your hug may be a bit too tight, I can barely breathe!
Alba: Oh, sorry!

We walked inside the house to avoid the rain, without stopping chatting, of course.

Alba: Didn't Juno come today? Is she afraid of this bad weather, by chance?
Rowan: No, it's just that she had a lot of work to do. Her company is about to sign a new big contract, you know.
Alba: Oh, good for her then!


Olivier: Welcome back Rowan! How are you doing? I bet you're always busy with work, right?
Rowan: To say the least. We receive several new cases per day, just sorting out all that paperwork takes a lot of time. 
Alba: It sounds very boring, isn't it?
Rowan: Bah, quite so. Probably.

It's also frustrating, to say the least. This job is really boring and far from my interests, and I wasn't able to see any opening towards a better position either. But I shook my head to push away that thought, I didn't want to spend all the afternoon with my parents complaining about my job. Age is now taking its toll on them too, and I don't want them to worry if I can avoid it. So, instead, I asked them:


Rowan: How is the situation in here, anyway? Monsoon aside, of course.
Olivier: We played a new song just the other day at the Ohan'ali seasonal fair, I don't think I've ever seen so many people there to listen to us.
Alba: (cheerfully) A lady even asked us for our autograph, can you believe it?
Rowan: Oh, congratulations then! You're basically famous now!
Olivier: Let's not exaggerate…
Alba: Well, maybe here in Sulani. A bit.

All in all, I'm happy for my parents, it's clear that they are leading a happy and peaceful life in here.

We talked all afternoon, and then I said goodbye as usual to go back to my apartment. What I didn't know, however, is that that would be my last chance to talk to them: in the following weeks, in fact, I received the news of their passing one after the other, leaving me with an emptiness inside that I struggle to describe in words.


Juno: I'm so sorry too, really...


Rowan: … thank you.

I am very grateful to Juno for her support. I know she used to be on good terms with my parents, and I can see how sad she's too now. As for me instead, I really can't stop thinking about all the things we could have done together, what we could have said to each other, and so on... But at least the thought of not having to go through this alone is some comfort to me.


And so our old house in Sulani remains empty, and the vegetable garden mom was so proud of is unkempt and full of weeds. Someone will buy this house and move here soon, that's the most rational thing to do, but will they keep everything with the same care?


Of course, the scarecrow (or, better, the farming robot) still refuses to activate, even if it is to say goodbye to my parents.

Seeing this place like this, cold and empty, hit me even harder than I thought it would. So, having completed the unavoidable bureaucratic procedures, I immediately returned to my apartment in Sim City. I see all the archipelago under such a different light now, I don't think I'll be able to go back any time soon...

2 comments:

  1. I do really hope that Techna is able to come back, but I'm sure this isn't the last time we have to deal with the situation with the robots. I love Juno handling her spice fine and Rowan just like uhhh...
    I'm glad that they got some good attention at the protest, but bad news that Rowan's parents died... ;-; And sad for Juno too, Rowan's parents were much nicer to her than her own parents were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for your comment!

      Robots will be named from time to time, as to anticipate *something*, but I really can't say anything more! :P

      Anyway, back to the serious stuff, this chapter was indeed mostly sad for me, the demise of the previous generation always hits me hard ;(

      Delete