Chapter 8.17: New house, new life

 <-- Previous Chapter

From Rowan's diary

So our three-person family life in that little Sim City apartment started.

We must admit that our routine can become quite chaotic at certain times, it wasn't easy to fit all of Gaia's stuff into the little space available in the apartment bedroom. Little by little we are resolving all the issues we are encountering, but the situation also encourages us more than ever to find more suitable accommodation as soon as possible.

Juno: What are you working on now?
Rowan: I have to analyze the last data we received, it's about that money laundering case I've mentioned a few times. I should finish in ten minutes, then I can switch with you if Gaia isn't asleep yet.
Juno: (Yawning) Okay.


Basically, the best solution we managed to find was to alternate between work and taking care of the little one. It's really exhausting, but we're doing our best to hold on, telling ourselves that it was only a temporary solution.

Obviously, my dear diary, this also means that I don't have much time to update these pages either. I'm sorry to write this, but from now on I'm afraid my notes will be more sparse than usual for a while.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the months pass, now Gaia has grown enough to crawl out of her crib. The more time passes the more I think that my first impression was right, she's really a little copy of her mom.


Juno: Hi! Do you want to play a little?
Gaia: Eh!


Gaia: Rino!

She seems like a very energetic and smart little girl, Juno always says that in this she seems to have taken after me instead. She always wants to explore every hidden corner of this house, and she loves running and looking at books full of colourful pictures.




Juno: Hello? Oh, I see. I'll be there as soon as possible, then.
Rowan: Did something happen?
Juno: It's nothing to be worried about, but apparently there were some troubles with the catering for tonight's fundraising, my colleagues asked me to reach them a bit earlier than planned.
Rowan: Oh, okay. I can stay here for the rest of the day anyway, I'm sure I and Gaia will be fine.
Juno: (tired) Great...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few months later...


Juno: (A bit demoralised) Later I think I'll have to stop at a clothes shop. I still can't fit in the pants I used to wear before the pregnancy, it's probably time to buy some new ones.
Rowan: Oh, okay, no problem.

For a moment she seemed a bit upset, although I couldn't figure out why. But she just shrugged slightly, to then go back to talking about the house we were aiming to move into. 
After many months spent working overtime to save enough money, in fact, we finally managed to place a deposit on a property that we had been eyeing for some time. There was enough space, too much even, but also a lot of renovations to do, and consequently a lot more work for us.


Juno: (exhausted) Perhaps we could think about moving there even before they've finished repainting, and then do it ourselves gradually. So at least everyone would have their own bedroom...
Rowan: Yes, I was thinking the same, this way we could also save a few months of renting for this apartment.
Juno: I'm really tired, you know?
Rowan: Me too, but there's still a lot to do, and then…

Gaia: Read story, now!



By now Gaia was old enough to start walking, and the more time passed the more it became clear that we needed more space. As tiring as it was, we had to hurry up and organize that move, that's what.



A few weeks later...


Rowan: C'mon, Gaia, it's time for bed.
Gaia: I'm not sleepy, no!
Rowan: Maybe you don't, but mom and dad are very sleepy instead. I'll read you a story, okay?


Rowan: C'mon, Nacho, don't you have your own bed?



Juno: Everything is ready now, isn't it? While Gaia sleeps we can try to load some stuff on the truck, and off we go!
Rowan: Yes, we better hurry!



So we finally moved to the house near the port that we had spotted a long time ago.


It still seemed half empty, and in fact it was, the floors were still of bare concrete and we had only been able to afford to bring the few pieces of furniture we had into the apartment and which occupied only a small portion of that huge space.


But it seemed like a good start, from then on our lives could only improve. Don't you think the same, my dear diary?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

§HermioneSims§ corner

I'd like to conclude with just a small parenthesis on the timeline. From the premises to this part, it sounded like a lot of years had to pass before they were able to actually afford to move to this new house. However, while playing this part, I really found it unbearable to cram them in such a small space, Gaia was literally all over the place!, and I also noticed that overworking them (and in particular Rowan, who needs much less sleep) I could save the money required to buy this new house way more quickly than anticipated. The weird price system in the game could also have contributed, a lot of small objects are quite overpriced (in relative terms) while whole lots are not that expensive after all. 

So here we are, in the weird  Old Salt House in the San Myshuno port area. What could happen now? Who knows...

1 comment:

  1. Awww Gaia really is the spitting image of her mother! And their new place looks great and a lot more spacious! Yeah the pricinng system in this game is just weird in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete