Chapter 4.5: Settling down

 <-- Previous Chapter 


Many years have passed since the founding of New Sixam. Mom did a great job leading the Country through the difficult settlement phase, managing to give the population a sense of security and unity that we lacked before. Her mandate has recently ended and, given her age, she decided to not run for another turn to leave room for new candidates instead. Her successor seems to continue to follow the path opened by her, without significant changes.

By now New Sixam has everything that any other Earth Country would has, and is also rapidly implementing Sixam's technology in transportation, medicine and industry. The sixamians seem to be so happy here in New Sixam that even those who lived in Countries other than Sim City have decided to slowly move here, where they finally feel welcomed.

We have always left our doors open to humans, but they seem to prefer to look at us with suspicion, always keeping an eye on us. So, like it or not, we found ourselves living in a small isolated land detached from any peaceful diplomatic relations with others.

A happy little island, with which nobody wants to build bridges... From a practical point of view, we have nothing to complain about, quite the contrary. However, the attitude of other nations toward us feels so bitter to me...

---------------------------------------------------------------

A few months ago I wrote that Misty and I have many plans for our future life, and that we came to live here to put them into practice.


We are in our early thirties now, we own our home, and we have stable incomes. We both always thought that, at some point in our lives, we wanted to start a family. The more time passed, the more that desire seemed concrete, close.

And now we are both convinced that the right time has come to try for real.


We knew it's not easy for everyone to succeed in such a short time, but we were lucky. Just a few months later, on my way back from the library I was welcomed by Misty running to me in excitement, to then tell me:


Misty: We did it, I'm pregnant!


Soon later Misty told Lyra and Ariana, who are still her best friends. By now I'm pretty sure they are the very reason why gossip about us is always circulating so quickly. 



Lyra: Well, at this point you two should also start to plan for a wedding, isn't it?
Misty: What? And with what money, if I can ask?
Lyra: I'll give you the clothes, the rest isn't such a big deal after all!

Misty replied with an alarmed expression, she was probably imagining the clothes that Lyra might have decided to give us.

Ariana: (amused)  You’re not just saying that for publicity, are you?
Lyra: (caught out) Well, ehm...

Within hours, half of New Sixam's population seemed to be aware of our good news, so we met my parents that evening. They seemed at least as excited as we were.


Claire: You were not joking when you said you had a lot of projects in mind!

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Misty was reassigned to a bit less physical job during her pregnancy, but she always continued to work for the same number of hours. I don't know how she does, she seems unstoppable. 


Misty: have you already thought of any names?
Luke: Um, there are so many to choose from...

It's probably because I've spent so much time writing, but I thought so much about possible names. Many sixamians use common human names, like mine, but since our arrival on this planet the frequency of names related to space or nature has been remarkable. I'm already proposing a lot of uncommon names, but Misty dismisses most of them with comments like: "I won't call my baby Hyperion, okay?" Probably she's right, I should think a bit longer about it...


Meanwhile her belly is growing more and more, even more than we expected.


Misty: I'm really turning into a whale...

She went into labour the day after that comment, a few weeks earlier than expected. A bit worried, we thus rushed to the closest hospital.


Misty: A hologram at the reception, but are they serious?
Receptionist: We're a little short-staffed, you know. 


I admit that I have never been so worried, excited and anxious as I was today. They let me out to wait for I don't know how long, before I finally met...


Our TWO daughters, that's why Misty's belly grew so much! 
Luckily I had a lot of names to choose from, yet they came so early that we hadn't made a definitive choice yet. After a final discussion, and after seeing how pretty they were, we eventually decided to call them Venus and Cassiopeia (although everyone already calls her Cassy).

--------------------------------------------------------------

My whole family immediately rushed to our house to meet them. We were newly parents, but they had just turned into grandparents, uncles and aunts. 

^The only one to rush to say hello to the little ones was Orion, albeit he was a quite far relative to them.

Orion: They look a lot like you, Luke.


Lyra: Twins, you won't sleep ever again!
Claire: You really don't like children, do you, Lyra?
Lyra: Well, it's quite clear...


Leo: As for twins, I think I have some experience... You can be the most different people in the world and live on different planets, but the bond among twins is always very strong. I think they're lucky for that.
Orion: (sarcastic) What a moving speech... Do you want to make me cry?

--------------------------------------------------------------------


Misty returned back to work full-time as soon as she chould. Since the library won't collapse if I'm absent for a few months, and considering that we continue receiving the revenue from my books even if I stay at home for a while, we decided that I would have been a stay-at-home dad for a while.


It is so exhausting, especially when they start crying together...

But, although we both always arrive so tired at the end of the day, we are very satisfied with what we are managing to do.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The little ones grow up quickly, in no time at all they were staggering around the house, babbling bits of sentences and investigating everything they saw.


Over time Cassy is turning bluer and bluer, just like Misty, while Venus remained as purple as I am. I heard this often happens to little sixamians, but it's quite fascinating to observe it in person. 


I often read stories to them, to be honest I wrote a couple of these little books by myself. The protagonists are, by chance, two little sixamians very similar to them who travel in space and make friends with many other aliens. Both Venus and Cassy seem to be having a lot of fun, and in fact they always ask me to read them new stories of their two favourite heroines.

They also seem to get along very well with each other. Maybe dad is right, the relationship between twins is really closer than that between simple siblings. They seem so special to me, I'm sure they will achieve great goals growing up.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

§HermioneSims§ corner

All this part feels quite rushed to me, but when you will realise how close Luke's birthday is it will be probably clear why I managed this part of the legacy this way.

I also want to point out that, again, I decided to change the skin colour of one of the twins. I just like to have a very colourful save, and this way it's easier to spot them immediately in a picture. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to see Luke's family growing! Venus and Cassy are so cute. I love the touch that Luke reads books he's written to them.

    ReplyDelete