Chapter 5.14: Disillusionment

 <-- Previous Chapter 

From Venus's diary

Venus: Wasn't Toq supposed to come too?
Cassy: He wrote to me just now, he has to remain at work a bit longer than expected.
Venus: (sceptical) Again?


Cassy: His crew always works a lot, you know.

Cassy told us a few days ago that she and Toq have been dating for about a month already, causing both worries and surprise among the rest of us.
In short, from what we have seen so far, these ancient Sixamians seemed so cold and unemotional to make us think that they could not even conceive the idea of a relationship of this kind.
Instead, it was way too easy for us to understand what Cassy saw in him: after all, she's curious and she hates banality, for her spending so much time with someone so different from us must be like a continuous discovery.


Cassy: I'm sure he'll make it the next time, don't worry!
Steve: (unsure) ... yes, of course.

Steve and I, however, just can't avoid being worried about the situation. My sister is very intelligent from many angles, but now I can't avoid thinking she's being a bit too naïve…
We don't really know much about the ancient sixamians in general, and this Toq seems weird even for the standards of the ones of his own kind. There is something very weird about that guy, and we really don't want to see my sister end up suffering for his fault...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

From Cassy's diary

Toq finished working around 9 PM, just as he wrote in the message he sent me. Venus and Steve are always very suspicious of him, but in the end he always does what he told me beforehand. 


I've already tried a couple of times to ask him if he thinks that his attitude toward telepathy is making this relationship any different from him than it is to us. I mean, c'mon, wouldn't you be curious too, dear diary? However, all he could answer me was that he wasn't sure about how to respond.

So I quickly learned that it's better to focus our conversations on other topics.


Cassy: Did you have a nice day?
Toq: It has been more fruitful than expected, but much remains to be done.
Cassy: Doesn't sound too bad then.


Cassy: I was thinking about one thing, you know... Would you like to come to our home sometime? I'm sure my mother would love to meet you too, you know?
Toq: ...

At that question he suddenly changed his expression, and then moved a little further apart on the bench. He often did it whenever I tried to propose to do something or go somewhere, in particular when my plans involved someone else. Not to mention future projects, that one always remained a topic he avoided at all costs.


I wasn't even that surprised that much when he prepared to go away, by saying:

Toq: ... I have to go back to my assigned lodging, it is sleep time. 

Maybe I shouldn't be so surprised, by now it's quite clear that I can't expect him to act like someone born and raised here in New Sixam. There are still so many things I need to learn about him…

--------------------------------------------------------------

Thus the weeks went by. Toq and I continued to see each other, but the more time passed the more evasive and inconstant he seemed to be. I admit that I really don't understand what could be going through his head, does he think something's wrong?


Venus: He's already decided not to show up three times, can't you see that there is something wrong? You should talk to him and set the record straight, that's it!
Cassy: ...Yeah, maybe you're right.


Yes, there were many things we had to tell each other. And not just the ones my sister had in mind...



I convinced Toq to meet a few days later, at least also he seemed to think that our situation needed some clarification.


Cassy: So, can you explain to me what's wrong? Aren't you enjoying spending time with me?

Toq took a deep breath before answering, putting the words together seemed to cost him an immense effort.

Toq: Cassiopeia, I have so many thoughts in my head right now, I am struggling to make sense of them. I think I need more time to understand what they mean.


Cassy: ... That's understandable. But I don't think we can afford to waste time right now.
Toq: What are you referring t...

The question died in his throat, for sure he had already read through my thoughts enough to find the answer by himself. At that point he shook his head, by that point his fear was evident, and left without another word.


A few hours later...


Venus: Cassy... I know you're feeling down now, but maybe it just wasn't meant to be, isn't it?
Cassy: I don't think you understand, you know?
Venus: Well, maybe I've never really liked that guy, but...


Cassy: No, not in that sense. I mean this time I really screwed up!
Venus: Cassy, ​​what are you...
Cassy: I mean, being dumped was bad enough already, but the real problem is...


Cassy: ... I'm expecting a baby.
Venus: (incredulous) What... are you serious!?


Cassy: ... Yeah, the doctor confirmed it this morning.
Venus: And Toq dumped you anyway!? Even after you told him?
Cassy: Um.

Venus had clenched his fists in her anger the moment I finished talking, knowing her I think she's holding back from running out to find Toq and punch him in the face. Even if she was serious about it I'm not sure I'd stop her tonight, anyway.

This is undoubtedly one of the worst days she can remember, how could it get worse than this?


---------------------------------------------------------

§HermioneSims§ corner

After all the nice comments about how cute Cassy and Toq were together I almost feel guilty now... But instead I decided to drop the bomb. BOOM! Soap-opera like plot twist! 

Jokes aside, if in the last chapter I suspected the plot development was too rapid, in this chapter I'm almost sure it really is. My choice to never show the woohoo scenes probably doesn't help, and in particular in this case the outcome literally seems to be coming out of nowhere. Yet, even after reasoning about it, I don't think I have much more to tell about this part. So here we are, waiting for what will come next...

Also, be aware that this is the chapter with which I gained the nickname "La Cattiverrima" (roughly translating into "The very very very evil one") among the first ones to read this legacy. It's drama time, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment