Chapter 6.22: Unexpected encounters

 <-- Previous Chapter

From Sirio's diary


Maki: Lily! Thank you for coming to Sirio's birthday!
Lily: It takes a moment by using the teleport machine, I can't understand how the rest of Sim City does without it.


Maki: Is everything okay in Sim City? Have you started the lessons yet? And…
Lily: Yes, yes, don't worry. I'll tell you everything I can think of, okay?


Lily: The lessons are a bit boring, but when we'll start with the laboratories it should be a little better.
Maki: Yes, Techna used to say the same. And how is it at the dorm instead?
Lily: There isn't much space, and the others can be very noisy. I'm not spending much time in there, I'm mostly at the library.
Maki: I know you're responsible, but try to have some fun once in a while, okay?
Lily: I know, I know...


Lily: For example, the last week I went back to see the flea market, I missed it so much!
Maki: Now that you mention it, I used to take you there almost every week, I miss it a lot too!
Lily: Maybe we could go together again then, also for you it would take a second to teleport in there!
Maki: Yeah, that's actually a very good idea, you know?


And so they did already the following week. I'm sorry I wasn't allowed to join them during this trip to Sim City, but I'm very happy for them. That city is very important to them, and spending some quality time there together can only be a good thing for them both, isn't it?

However, when they teleported back home, I immediately spotted that something was off.


Sirio: Hi Maki, I didn't expect to see you before dinner time! Also, hi Lily, did you decide to join us this evening?

Something was clearly off, looking more carefully at them I could clearly see how they both seemed relieved to be back home, the way those blue and purple colours were dissipating around them was unmistakable. What could have happened while they were in Sim City?

Sirio: (worried) But did something happen? Are you all right?

At first neither of them answered me, but then Lily surprised me by hugging me tightly, to then say:


Lily: I never told you, but I think you're a really good dad. 
Sirio: (surprised) Oh.

Sometimes I'm told I'm too emotional, and maybe I really am because by hearing those words I almost cried. 

On the other hand, the fact that it was Lily telling me those words, the same Lily who is always saying that she doesn't need anyone's help for solving any issue, could only alarm me a little. And Maki must have spotted it in my expression, because she hastened to come to my rescue saying:

Maki: … it's been a long afternoon, I think we have a few things to tell you.

A few hours earlier, in Sim City



Lily: Hi mom! How was your trip?
Maki: Teleporting always leaves me a bit, how to say... disoriented. But it's still the most comfortable way to arrive here by far!
Lily: So, did you miss the big city?
Maki: It's so nostalgic, it's been ages since the last time I came here!


Maki and Lily visited again together all those places they used to see every day in the past, like the flea market, the spice market and, of course, the art gallery.


Maki: They are always on pair with the latest trends in here. This painting is by an artist everyone has been talking about in the last year, it's impressive they manage to get it so soon!
Lily: They're trying really hard, yes.


Lily: I really don't understand this painting though, what does it mean?
Maki: Well… sometimes the most important thing is not what it represents, but the emotions it conveys. And this one really makes me want to return back to Sulani for another vacation!
Lily: I see... 

The city is huge and full of people, the chances of meeting someone by accident are minimal. But, apparently, they weren't the only ones feeling so nostalgic about that place to decide to visit it again...


Maki: Yeah, and then… Oh damn, don't tell me that he's here too!


Hotaru: (surprised) Oh. I… I really didn't expect to find you here.
Maki: Well, neither did we, to be honest.

No one said anything for a while, according to what Maki told me. There were still a lot of untold things among them, none of which were particularly pleasant. But the one who really seemed to have something to say was Hotaru, who began saying:


Hotaru: … Lily, I really think I need to explain myself…
Lily: (tired) Oh, so that's why you keep submerging me with emails, even though I keep blocking you? Does it take that long to realize that I don't want to spend any more time with you?
Hotaru: …

For once Hotaru didn't seem like the usual angry and aggressive guy he usually is, but rather he almost gave the impression of feeling… repentant? If it hadn't been like this, Maki would have probably left much sooner.

Instead she had decided to stay until Hotaru managed, apparently with a lot of effort, to admit:


Hotaru: … I'm sorry, okay? I didn't know I was being that terrible in your eyes, I really didn't understand why Maki insisted so much on keeping you away from me. That smurf had to force those memories in my head, but…
Lily: (confused) Smurf?
Maki: That's not a nice nickname for Sirio, you know?

I think he was referring to that time after the trial, when I forcibly hammered into him the memories I had of Maki and Lily, the ones where he could see just how scared they were of him. Did he really learn anything from it?

Hotaru: Well, yeah, him.


Hotaru: Apparently, I wasn't suited to be a good father...

Lily didn't say anything for a while, but she wasn't able to stay there listening to that cheesy apology any longer.

Lily: Do you really think that this may solve anything? Thanks a lot, but my family is another one at this point. I have no intention of dealing with you ever again, have I been clear?

And having said that she rushed outdoors, she couldn't stay with him even for a moment longer.


Hotaru: (with a touch of pride) She seems to have grown into a tough girl.
Maki: Oh, you don't know how much.




Maki: … and that's it.

That was the last thing I thought I'd hear today, who expected they could meet Hotaru like this, by chance?
Hotaru really made us live through an Odyssey, and I'm honestly reassured knowing that Lily decided to stay away from him from now on. She's suffered enough already. 

Hopefully, this random encounter and Lily's farewell to her father will mark the end of this difficult interlude in our family's history.

It would be about time for me and Maki to enjoy these years in which we're not so young anymore focusing on art and on being good parents for the now grown-up kids, without any further reason to worry. I think we deserved it, isn't it, my dear diary?


No comments:

Post a Comment