Chapter 7.4: New year...

 <-- Previous chapter

<-- Extra chapter

From Alba's diary


Olivier: Good evening!
Alba: Hi!


Alba: (a little awkwardly) Listen... I was told that the pub in downtown will organize another karaoke night the next Thursday, would you like to go?
Olivier: Oh. Well... yeah, why not. We haven't done anything like this for a while.

He said it with a kind half smile, he seemed almost surprised that for once I was the one proposing something to do. Yet he didn't seem totally sincere to me in his answer, I have the clear impression that he only accepted to make me happy, not because he was genuinely enthusiastic about it. 

Actually, he was recently hired as an accountant for a company here in town, and now he always seems much more tired than he used to before. Karaoke nights always end quite late, maybe he would prefer to go to sleep early instead. Maybe proposing to go to karaoke wasn't a great idea, after all.

Sometimes I really envy those people who don't understand when the people around them are sincere and when they lie. At least they don't have to deal with this thousand of doubts as I always do, when I try to figure out the true intention behind others' words...

Olivier: Rather, how are you doing with your job search?
Alba: Erm… I still haven't found anything I think I may like.


Olivier: I'm asking you because our office is looking for a secretary. It may not be a very interesting job, but at least you could save some money while you look for a job you like better, isn't it?

Olivier is a very practical guy, and he knows that having a job and a salary are the starting point from which to build a life project. He studied very hard after high school to get the diploma he needed to apply for a good job, and then sent so many curricula to all the companies in town to get hired as quickly as possible. In comparison, it seems like I'm not doing anything all day long, and he seems genuinely concerned by my now chronic state of unemployed person.

Maybe he's right, I should try harder to find a job and to make myself more independent from my family. I've been thinking about what the right job for me could be for a long time now, but I continue to feel insecure and undecided, no idea ever seems like the right one. Seeing how difficult it is to find a job, maybe I should just take opportunities like this and give it a try...

Alba: Well... It could be a good opportunity, you're probably right.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

People talking about jobs and their future seem all around me, even at home it's hard not to think about it.


Helios: Oh, so you found a job in Tech Sixam?
Techna: Yes, I was hired as a programmer by an innovation company over there.
Helios: Cool! And—
Techna: One instant...


Techna: Checkmate!



Helios: Damn, I got distracted!
Techna: I've learnt from the best teacher, you know?


And Helios is also spending a lot of his free time with Matt and Drew, they often meet up at the games room after school. The final high school exam is approaching for them too, and they seem to be only thinking about what to do next.



Drew: The old Foxbury Institute is finally merging with Tech Sixam to form a huge technological centre, we should definitely enrol on that college! Their engineering courses in particular are terrific!
Helios: So you're thinking about studying that, engineering?
Drew: Obviously!
Matt: I'm not that sure about what to do instead... What about you, Helios?


Helios: Actually I still have to decide exactly what to do...
Drew: But you'll have some ideas, right?
Helios: Erm... Well, I was thinking I could study biology. I want to do research applied to the medical field when I grow up!
Matt: So invent cures for strange diseases and things like that?
Helios: Yes, something like that.
Matt: Cool! It doesn't sound bad at all, you know? Maybe I could do it too!

---------------------------------------------------------
The last few weeks passed in the blink of an eye, and this evening we will celebrate New Year's Eve all together. I and Olivier organized a party in a club in the city, he is very precise whenever there is something to organize and I'm sure everything will be perfect.


Olivier: This place seems perfect to me, there's plenty of space and the acoustic for music is fantastic!
Alba: It's the first time I've been there, but it looks really nice, you're right!


Olivier: Well, so we just have to wait for the others to arrive.
Alba: (checking her phone) Oh, Lily just texted me that she and Mirko are about to take the teleport device, they'll pass by our home to talk a bit with mom and dad and then they'll join us.
Olivier: Great, I'm happy they both managed to come!

Soon after, everyone started to arrive. My siblings, their friends, our cousin Erika and some of Olivier's friends. There was a nice happy atmosphere, and everyone seemed to be having fun sipping drinks, talking about this and that and listening to the music.



Lily: (cheerful) Hey, here there are also a microphone and a guitar to play some live music! Why don't you two play something for us?
Olivier: Why not, it will be fun!
Alba: … O-okay!

I was a little hesitant, playing and singing along is much harder than singing at a karaoke, we've never tried it before. But it is also true that we were there to have fun, and for sure no one will complain if we make a few mistakes.

Since we only had one guitar at our disposal, and so that Olivier doesn't know how to play it, we decided that I would play and he sing.


Olivier: Ready?
Alba: Yes, ready!


I started strumming the first notes of that song we sang together at the karaoke when we first met, it seemed like a cute idea. And he must have thought the same, because as soon as he recognized the song he smiled, almost with nostalgia, before starting to sing.

The others soon followed suit, and within two songs they were all singing along. We continued like this until almost midnight, when everyone was getting ready for the countdown.


Everyone: Happy New Year!


Alba: Happy New Year!
Olivier: Happy New Year to you too!


The company, the music, the lights... This New Year's Eve was truly memorable, it's been a while since the last time I've had so much fun!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
§HermioneSims§ corner

You know the New Year's celebration is really becoming memorable when random sims start to wander around in their underwear, isn't it?


Happy New Year, my dear sims! XD


On a similar silly note, this is also the chapter where I found out that sims can play with sand not only at the beach, but on any terrain painted with sand.



Desert scenarios don't look so boring anymore XD

2 comments:

  1. LOL at the random underwear Sim. Happy New Year to all of them. It seems like both Olivier and Alba may love singing and music. I wonder if that's something Alba can pursue. Olivier seems too practical to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, and thanks for all of today comments! I can say much without spoiling the following, but all your commentw were really on point.

      Delete