Chapter 7.14: Offer

 <-- Previous Chapter

From Alba's diary

Weeks seem so long now, as we try to get used to our new routine. But this does not mean that we haven't anything to do, on the contrary.

The more days pass, the clearer it is to us that we want to go back to being parents, whatever it may cost. So we rolled up our sleeves and started to reason about the options we had.

The first step was interpelling the doctors, but they all told us that none of the methods they were capable of could be applied to our case. Not that Olivier expected any different answer, but we wanted to be totally certain about it before moving to the next option. 

Thus we started to study the procedure for adopting a child. After taking care of Iris and River we think to know one thing or two about taking custody of needy children, after all. Yet the papers to fill in seem to never end, we will really be able to finish them? And also then, how long will the waiting list be? I have to admit that this has been pretty daunting so far, but we don't want to give up just yet. 

In the meantime, our families and friends still don't know anything about what we're planning. To us, it just seems too early to tell them about it. So we continue behave just like we always did with them, often inviting them over for a dinner in Sulani. After all, this is another good way to cover the silence that otherwise always fills this big house.



Alba: Hi Iris, how are you?
Iris: I'm fine, but you're squeezing me, c'mon!
Alba: Okay, sorry…


Erika: Is it some typical Sulani dish? I've never seen it before.
Alba: Yes, Kai prepared it, she's a really good cook!
Kai: It's actually easy to prepare, you just need to…


River: Hey Kate, do you want some too?
Kate: (concentrated) No, thanks. And sorry, but I need to focus now.

We were a bit surprised when she showed up again, but Kate doesn't seem to have finished her task yet. She still has to identify the person responsible for wiping my brother's memory, and she hasn't ruled out the hypothesis that this person may be someone close to us yet. 
I was a bit perplexed at first, before today I'd never perceived anyone among us lying in a way that could make me suspicious after all, but she's the expert and so I preferred not to comment. 

But, after what happened tonight, I'm starting to think that she may have a point.

The party was about to end, and Olivier and I went onto the balcony to observe the sea, as we often did at night.


Alba: It was a nice dinner, I'm glad everyone is having fun!
Olivier: Yes, that's right.

???: Hey lovebirds, do you have a minute?


Alba: (surprised) Oh, hi Drew. We didn't see you coming, you know?
Drew: I noticed it.
Alba: Do you need something? If you're looking for the bathroom, it's just...
Drew: No, I actually had something else I wanted to talk to you about. 
Alba: (perplexed) Okay, sure.

Drew: Uhm, let's see, how could I tell you… In fact, the best way might be to get straight to the point. I know you would like to have children, but you can't have them. And, coincidentally, I might also know a way that would allow you to achieve your goal in a relatively short time.
Olivier: …W-what?

We couldn't say anything else for a while, what he said implied so many questions that we didn't know where to start. How did he know we were trying to start a family, and how did he know about the difficulties we were facing? And what solution could he propose to us, when we had examined every possibility without finding any alternatives other than adoption?

Olivier: (whispering) Do you think he's lying?
Alba(whispering) I... I can't understand it.

To me that was perhaps the most upsetting part of that absurd conversation. I had always immediately noticed whether others were lying or not, but in that moment I just couldn't perceive any of the nuances I usually sensed. I had only experienced this when talking to robots like Techna, or listening to recorded electronic voices. Feeling that sensation while talking face to face with a person instead just made me feel a shiver of fear down my spine, that's what...


Drew: C'mon, there's no need to be so suspicious...
Alba: Ah no? Because what you're saying sounds quite fishy, instead. 
Drew: Don't you even want to hear what I can offer you? 
Alba and Olivier: ...
Drew: Try to think for a moment about the pollination machine Helios was working on, wouldn't they just be perfect for your case? In short, all it takes is a DNA sample from both parents. It would allow you to have your own child with a very quick, inexpensive and minimally invasive procedure. 

Drew stared at us with a calm expression, waiting for his words to be assimilated. I have at least to admit that he knows how to try to deceive people, the points he raised were all quite tempting. Technically what he said is true, if that machine managed to make even my brother pregnant, using it on me should be even easier. Yet, everyone knew how that technology was strictly regulated for safety reasons, and that after the recent scandals even the medical research applications had been interrupted. 

And those weren't even the most worrisome implications to us, there was something we couldn't ignore at all, that was...


Alba: Wait, so you have something to do with that laboratory too?
Olivier: And you never said anything when Helios was under investigation too, so it seems likely that you could be involved with what happened to him.
Drew: (vague) Who knows... I contacted you because you seem like the perfect people for the type of research we are conducting at the moment, and also because it would only bring advantages for you. You would finally have the child you want so much, and in exchange it would be enough for you not to tell anyone about the treatment you received, and about us of course.
Olivier: ...
Drew: But if instead you decided to report us to the police, that would just be a way to waste your time. We have our methods, your memories would be erased before you can even notice what is happening. So you can either accept my offer, or it will be as if this conversation had never happened. It is up to you. 


Alba: Do you really think we would do something like that? After everything that happened to Helios?
Drew: Who knows... 

I would have wanted to ask so much more, or just to raise my voice enough to call the others and see if he was really able to erase everyone's memories as he threatened us to do.
But instead I hesitated, distracted by a sudden headache. This last week I'm often experiencing it, thinking about it, but the other times it wasn't that bad. For a few moments I just couldn't focus on anything, that's it.

In the meanwhile, Drew took a careful look at his wristwatch, before taking the chance to leave and say:

Drew: You have until tomorrow morning to think about it.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------

§HermioneSims§ corner:

Solved an issue I immediately decided to throw in another one, isn't it?
And why could I have decided to take this route? Who knows... 

For the moment, all I can say is that it is once again a choice driven by the traits of the sims involved. And I also want to share with you Drew's traits in particular, which I noticed only when playing this section.

Because you have to know that Drew is, undoubtedly...


An evil sim!


1 comment:

  1. Woah. When Drew blatantly threatened them, "So you can either accept my offer, or it will be as if this conversation had never happened," it surprised me. But I see that he's clearly evil. As much as I want them to have a family, I'm worried about the consequences if they do it this way. I'm also concerned about Drew's possible involvement in what happened to Helios. I feel like it will all work out, but I hope it works out without Olivier and Alba experiencing a lot of emotional pain.

    ReplyDelete