Chapter 7.15: Tricky choice

 <-- Previous chapter

From Alba's diary

A revelation like that could only keep us awake all night. I had always trusted Drew, he and his brother were always playing at our place when we were kids. How could I ever suspect that he could be involved with all that happened to Helios? And how could he be so blatant to ask us to participate in his plans?  I just can't believe it, that's it.


Alba: He must be involved with all the weird stuff that happened in the lab where Helios used to work, that's crazy... And he seemed so confident as well. I mean, listening to him, it would almost seem like he can listen to everything we say and think, and decide to wipe our memories at any moment. But this isn't possible, right?
Olivier: (thoughtful) Yeah, he didn't seem to be using telepathy on us tonight,  and how could he know what we're saying now, for example?
Alba: (worried) Also, I really don't understand why I couldn't perceive whether he was lying or not. It never occurred before when talking with him, it was so weird...

I just couldn't understand it, I've known Drew since we were children... Above all, I can't understand how someone like him could ever behave in such a mean way, when his tendrils allow him to feel what all the people around him are feeling. He may look a lot like my dad and uncle Florian, yet he decided to use this sensibility to manipulate and deceive others and become a criminal, that's it...

Olivier: What do you think about his proposal, instead? I guess that if we called the police right away or just said no, he would just use his "mysterious method to wipe our memories" right away. It would be just like that conversation had never happened, in practice.
Alba: ...
Olivier: While, by accepting, it is likely that we would actually be able to have a child. I really don't understand why that machine is prohibited also for this purpose, by the way, it could help so many people...
Alba: …
Olivier: And then, who knows, maybe if we play along long enough we might find some flaw in their plan that would allow us to report them, isn't it?
Alba: Uhm…
Olivier: What do you think?
Alba: …

I was confused, I didn't know what to say. When we sat down to talk about it I felt pretty sure it was an absurd idea, it just felt too wrong to help in any way the same people who caused so much trouble to my brother.

Yet, the more we talked about it, the less sure I felt. Was it really that wrong to help a couple to have a kid with whatever technology is available, if this is what they want? Okay, I know that the old pollination machines that arrived from Sixam are very controversial, and accepting (wait, am I really considering this hypothesis?) would mean breaking the law and lying to my family. These are all things I should consider before making a choice, yet the more I try to focus the more I feel like I'm losing track of what I should be thinking. Maybe it was because of that headache, it started when we were talking with Drew, and instead of improving it's only getting worse and worse. 


Olivier: Is everything okay? You're looking very pale...
Alba: Ahm, more or less... It's that headache, it's not getting better at all.
Olivier: ... Maybe we should just go to sleep then. Maybe tomorrow it will seem a bit easier to decide.
Alba: Uhm, yes, maybe you're right….

----------------------------------------------------------------------

As expected we couldn't sleep much that night, we had so much to think about. Also, in the few moments I was actually asleep, I kept having such weird dreams...

But, somehow, in the morning we had an answer. I'd really like to write down the exact train of thoughts that led us there, my dear diary, but every time I try to retrace it I suddenly get distracted by this annoying headache (which, by the way, has never completely stopped in days now).

Long story short, we evaluated that the advantages had to be better than the drawbacks (I... guess?), and so we ended up accepting Drew's proposal.


Olivier: How are you doing?
Alba: Not bad, for the moment I would say I'm feeling like usual.
Olivier: Do you still remember anything about that lab?
Alba: No…
Olivier: Me neither. I suppose they wiped our memories about what happened there, to make sure we weren't able to go back.
Alba: Well, at this point there is no turning back. All we can do is trust them, I guess.


Olivier: By the way, how's that honey?
Alba: It's so sweet! Do you want some?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The more days pass the more it becomes clear to me that the pollination machinery has done its duty, this really feels like the infamous morning sickness... Yes, probably the thing I should really worry about now is dealing with this pregnancy in the best way possible, and preparing for the arrival of our child. The arrival of our child, isn't it unbelievable, my dear diary?

Even Olivier, when I confirmed to him that I was pregnant, was just overjoyed by the news.



It all seems so normal to make us (almost) forget that all this was the result of an illegal experiment. In practice, we are reminded about it only those few times when Drew shows up to collect data on the progress of my pregnancy.


Drew: The parameters all seem absolutely normal, you've nothing to worry about.

Who knows why, every time he speaks I have the strong impression that he's implying much more than what he's saying out loud.

Drew: Do you have anything else to report? Any unexpected discomfort?
Alba: Well, I often feel nauseous, but according to the doctor it's normal... But recently I also often have a quite persisting headache, which I've never had before.
Drew: Headache, you say?

Maybe it was just my impression, but for a moment I saw an expression of disappointment on his face.

Drew: I'm sure it's nothing to worry about, but if in doubt I'll ask the doctors in the group what they think about it.
Alba: I don't remember, what subject did you study in college? It doesn't sound like you were a doctor, right?
Drew: (vague) I studied a little bit of this, a little bit of that, you know how it is.
Alba: uhm...

I would have liked to ask him more, but the now usual headache made me give up. It's hard not to feel torn in a situation like this, deep down in my heart I feel like it's wrong to collaborate with them. But, on the other hand, the more the pregnancy progresses and the existence of this child becomes more and more tangible, the more we feel that this is a compromise that we are willing to accept. Everything will be fine, we will ensure it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
§HermioneSims§ corner

What a short yet messy chapter, isn't it? 
There is clearly something off going on, but what could it me? I'll pretend to not know anything just like Drew, and just say: "Who knows..." 

Out of the plot instead, I would admit I was just late (again) at getting a new heir for this legacy. Both Alba and Olivier are older than it seems, I really had to accelerate the rhythm a bit (again). 

1 comment:

  1. Are Alba and Olivier adults here (instead of YAs)? Regardless, Drew definitely seems off, like he wants something to go wrong with Alba's pregnancy! It's odd and his lying or being misleading about what he studied in college is odd too.

    ReplyDelete