Chapter 8.9: Looking forwards

 <-- Previous Chapter

From Rowan's diary


Juno: Do you want to take a selfie?
Rowan: Sure.



That's it, my dear diary, it's graduation day. And our last day here on campus, too. 
It seems so strange to think about, we spent so much time among these old stone buildings to make them feel like home, although this place couldn't be more different from the house I grew up in.



Graduation ceremonies always bring here on campus a lot of friends and relatives, and my family was certainly no exception. We had to do paperwork for weeks to allow so many people with a foreign passport to participate, but there was no way to convince them not to come, no matter what.


Alba: We're so proud of you!
River: Congratulations Rowan, you did great!
Iris: Not that anyone had any doubts, anyway.


And, of course, also Juno's parents showed up. They seemed so serious and strict, all the opposite of my family. Juno doesn't really get along with them, and even today they barely talked at all.
Again, all the opposite of my family.


River: So, how are you doing?

I just eloquently pointed to what was happening around us: we were celebrating my graduation, wasn't it obvious that I was happy about it?

River: I meant, how are you doing with your friend, Juno? After what you told me last time...

I didn't really want to answer, also because I had a strong impression that also mom was following our conversation from a few steps away. River didn't tell her what he knew, right? Actually, based on the habits of my relatives, I can't really say that discretion is our strong point. And if mom knew, then...


Alba: Ehy, why so serious? We're about to start playing some music!
Rowan: Oh.
Alba: You worked so hard in the last few years, today you should just have fun. So, get ready to sing, you all!

I let out a half laugh, the more time passed the more my parents seemed obsessed with their music. But on the other hand I couldn't help but thank my mom, having my whole family gathered there to celebrate and my parents playing and singing was such a familiar situation for me. I wasn't really thinking about it until yesterday, but now I would say I was missing it.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Our families returned home after sunset, but the day was far from over. Those were our last hours in the dorm, but our to-do list was still very long. Considering that we still had to empty our room and prepare our suitcases, we knew already we wouldn't have gotten much sleep that night. 



Rowan: I still don't get it, why would someone do this? And why today, of all days?
Juno: Wait, I can help you. Let’s hurry up, though, we're late already!

It's really difficult to focus tonight. Soon I'll have to find a new place where to move in at the end of summer, to start working, and, well... and all those other stuff adults do. 

Everything is supposed to change, suddenly. And the change is also going to be worse than when I came here, to this college, because now I don't really know what is going to happen. Actually, my plans are still shamefully vague. And that's probably the worst part for me, I hate not knowing what to expect. 


Rowan: I really don't know how to fit that poster support into my suitcase, it's just too large!
Juno: Well, I don't think you'll need it anymore, right? Maybe you should just leave it to the freshmen, they will use it for sure, sooner or later. I did this with mine, it seemed like a good way to avoid turning it into waste!
Rowan: (nods) Yes, you're not wrong.


Juno: Rather... Can you believe that tomorrow we're leaving this place, like forever?
Rowan: Um.
Juno: It still feels so weird to me, thinking that we're about to leave, and maybe we won't even see each other again.
Rowan: ...
Juno: (hesitantly) Actually, about that... Just for this time, could I give you a mini-friendly-goodbye hug? It would mean a lot to me!
Rowan: (perplexed) Oh. Okay, then.



Juno: Here it comes...


Juno: Too much?
Rowan: No, that's fine.

Until a few months ago I certainly wouldn't have reacted like this, but in that moment I actually found it quite... warm? Or cosy, maybe? No, that's probably not the right word... In any case, I definitely didn't want to sneak out. 

Juno: I'm sure I'm going to miss you a lot. You know you're my best friend, right? So don't think to get rid of me so easily!
Rowan: (perplexed) That's not part of my plans. Actually, I don't see why you're making this sound like a farewell, either.
Juno: Uh? 
Rowan: I didn't have the time to tell you yet, but a few days ago I decided to respond to one of those law firms that showed some interest in my resume. Their offices are in Sim City, so I'm also planning on moving somewhere in the city after the summer.
Juno: (surprised) Seriously?
Rowan: I also started looking at rental ads, objectively the prices there seemed very high.
Juno: I noticed it too, in fact I think I'll look for a room in a shared apartment, or something like that. What about you, instead?
Rowan: Actually, I was thinking that, well…

I hesitated a bit before continuing that sentence, I had an idea in mind but I was also afraid that she might have found it weird.
Maybe it's not easy for people to understand, but I care about others too. Just like Juno, I didn't want to move apart when we eventually left college, even though my way of showing it was probably the exact opposite of hers.

Rowan: (awkwardly) … I wanted to ask you if, by any chance, you wanted to still be roommates.
Juno: (surprised) Wait, what? Are you serious?
Rowan: (nods)

Juno took a long time before answering me, I suspect I may have caught her off guard. Then, without interrupting that hug, she decided to answer me by saying:


Juno: It wouldn't be much different from here, after all.
Rowan: Yes, that's the idea.
Juno: (letting out a sigh) Sometimes it's not easy to understand you, you know Rowan?
Rowan: …
Juno: Is it the same for you when you try to understand me?
Rowan: Sort of, sometimes.
Juno: Okay, then. Let's do this!

On the one hand the situation was undoubtedly becoming increasingly strange, even if I appreciated her company I was having more and more difficulty trying to interpret what she was thinking. On the other hand, however, I couldn't help but feel relieved. Thinking about all the challenges that awaited us in Sim City wasn't that scary anymore, knowing that I was not going to face them alone.

3 comments:

  1. I love the pic with the rainbow < 3 Ugh I hate that Juno's parents are strict XC At least for the most part the Millers have always been a loving family as much as I can recall anyhow. And lil arm over the shoulder ;-; too cute. And his reaction and not sure how he finds it and the 'warm? cosy?' MY HEART IS JUST ;-; ;-; ;-; ;-; ;-; I'm glad they're still going to be roommates! On the plus side, they both know each other and get along and can rely on each other, so it all works out ^u^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for the comment, as always!

      I was very lucky with that rainbow, it's hard to catch them in game (at least for me!)
      As for Juno parents, they showed up even more grumpy than I expected them to be (as not-played sims tend to do, sometimes), all the opposite of the Millers, yup.

      In the last scene instead, I liked that animation so much, I wanted to put it somewhere for a while already when I wrote this chapter! And of course I had to keep Juno around, after focusing so much on her over the last 8 chapters or so :P

      Delete
    2. As much as I despise most EA animations, the little cuddle arm around the shoulder and the sofa snuggle is the absolute cutest thing ;-;

      Delete