Chapter 1.3: Riddles

<-- Previous Chapter

Dear diary, It has been months since I moved here. I keep going to the lab every day, working on weird inventions and so on.

For now the only, um, thing I get along with is the AI ​​of the invention machine, I have nicknamed it Sophia. We work great together, you should see our latest invention!


Meanwhile, my superiors asked me to prune the bonsai tree at the canteen. What a useless task, I'm not a gardener! And, above all, how much longer will I have to wait before starting to search for alien activity, I wonder?



This morning I woke up with a garden gnome next to my bed, what a scare! Maybe it was some alien bringing it in here? 

Of course I'm just joking about the aliens, but it remains an inexplicable event to me. Maybe I should ask around a bit...


I left it something to eat, just to be sure it doesn't get mad at me. In the meantime, I'd better hurry to reach the laboratory, I don't want to be late!


Colleague
: Hey, what are you doing here today? Didn't you stay home for the harvest festival?
Stuart: The what?
Colleague: you stay at home with your family telling them the things you are thankful for, eat together and try not to make the gnomes mad at you. Come on, isn't it a festivity at your home place too?
Stuart: not really, actually... Anyway, what are you doing here, if today is such a big festivity, then?
Colleague: (vague) experiments.
Stuart: Which kind of experiments?
Colleague: The kind of experiment we don't show to newbies.

Um, weird. But no weirder than what I've discovered in the last few days.

Stuart: I did some calculations the other day, you know? That sim ray, its ability to lower the temperature so much is just amazing!
C
olleague: (vague) really?
Stuart: (suspicious) definitively. According to my calculations, it would pass as a heat engine with an efficiency greater than one. Seems impossible, doesn't it?

My colleague just stared at me for a few seconds, left his desk and dismissed me with a: "you'd better check your calculations!". As if I could get such simple calculations wrong, has he mistaken me for a freshman? Rather, what are they hiding from me? The more time passes, the more I convince myself that something's fishy in here...


In the evening, just to distract me a bit, I went to the bar next to my place. I needed to see something other than the lab and the dump I live in, you know?


Customer: Hey, but you're the new one!
Stuart: Yes.
Customer: You're another one of those weirdos who work in the labs, aren't you?
???: "weirdo", as if you were totally normal instead!

I didn't notice her before, but there was a girl sitting next to us, and she was the one speaking. 


Stuart: Well, he's not completely wrong, our lab really is a bit weird.
???: oh, I hadn't any doubts about that, instead.


She said her name is Sylvia, she works as a veterinary in Bridgeport. I admit that I would never have guessed it just by seeing her, but she told me she has a great passion for animals, and especially for cats.

Sylvia: (vague) what exactly are you doing in that laboratory? We hear the strangest rumours about you all the time.
Stuart: well... I would like to answer you, but actually I still haven't figured out what we really do either.
Sylvia: this is a strange neighbourhood. The animals are upset here, they feel that something is wrong.
Stuart: ah. Well, if animals think so, probably they're right, isn't it?
Sylvia: Yeah, probably.

4 comments:

  1. <3 I love a good mystery. Especially with Strangerville. It's hard to find strangerville stories. Also your writing is hilarious. Can't wait to see what Stuart uncovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! Stuart is a quite ironic person, and so that this is his diary, I wanted to reflect this! Also because, without some self-irony, it would be hard for him to cope with what comes next... (*suspense...*)

      Delete
  2. I like how Stuart doesn't take the weirdo insult personally. I also agree with Mercuryfoam, your writing is funny and enjoyable to read. I laughed a couple times while reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, his colelagues are definitely up to something. Keeping secrets while they're the ones that invited him in the first place... odd. I wonder what strange things Stuart will end up revealing!

    ReplyDelete