Chapter 1.14: Birthday

<-- Previous Chapter

This morning our neighbour rang the doorbell, leaving to us this little ball of fur. Apparently, their cat just had kittens, and they insisted to leave one of them to us.


Stuart: What? Wait, does it mean that Meow is a female?
Sylvia: (amused) come on, didn't you notice?
Stuart: Okay, but... Why should we keep him?
Sylvia: This kitten is a female too, actually. Besides, did you take a good look at her?


Stuart: Nacho, where are you hiding?
Sylvia: He's surely sleeping somewhere, as usual.


It took some time before Nacho noticed that another little kitten was wandering around the house.  At that point he started to smell her with a puzzled air, he did not seem particularly sure about the novelty.


Stuart: Are you surprised too, Nacho?
Sylvia: Try to get along, at least.


Normally Sylvia would have been thrilled to have a new feline around the house, but this time she hadn't been able to do anything but sigh with an exhausted air. We were already busy enough looking after our puppies, the last thing we needed was to take care of Nacho's kitten too. By the way, we decided to call her Taco.

Milo: Dad, I'm hungry!
Luna: Food!

Milo and Luna were born less than a year apart from each other, it is exhausting to keep up with both of them and both Sylvia and I are starting to suffer the situation.





Stuart: Maybe we should hire a babysitter... just to get some sleep, at least for a day.

Sylvia had thought about it for a moment, she didn't like the idea of ​​letting some stranger take care of Milo and Luna. But she and I were both so tired, that situation was not healthy for anyone.

Sylvia: yes, it might be a good idea, actually.


Parenting isn't easy at all, but being able to rely on each other made it a little easier to cope with.



So this guy will be our babysitter, his name is Tony. Bah... at least, he seems to know what to do.


Luna doesn't seem too happy, but at least Sylvia and I managed to sleep for an afternoon...




My dear diary, you may be wondering why we needed to rest for a bit, don't you? That's simple, today it's my birthday and we decided to celebrate it! 

We organized a little party at the local park. Milo and Luna immediately rushed indoor to eat the cake, and fell asleep a few minutes later.



As for me, however, I think I'm ageing pretty well, am I not? I can hardly see the difference! Just joking, I'm definitively not feeling like a young boy anymore...



While the little ones slept, Sylvia and I took the opportunity to play chess for a while, it reminded us of the good old days when we became friends. It feels like it was a lifetime ago...


Sylvia: Would you like to make a bet?
Stuart: Which kind of bet?
Sylvia: If I win, you will have to say yes to any question I ask you. If I lose instead, the roles are reversed.
Stuart: Well, why not.



Stuart: I think I've won. Checkmate.
Sylvia: that's unfair, you're always winning!

For once, I think I immediately understood what her intentions were, perhaps because that same idea had been buzzing in my head for a while too. The bet was not a bad idea, because it made it a bit easier for me to take the courage, to ask her:


Stuart: Sylvia... Would you marry me?

3 comments:

  1. Caught up! Thoughts on the new chapters:
    Seeing toddlers so careless about differences makes me wish adults were the same < 3 Bless Luna, she’s so sweet, and love that her disguise resembles Sylvia. Yeah, I can imagine an alien birth would be unforgettable…and not just in a good way!

    It’s interesting that first contact is implied to have not even been that long ago, so the fear must still be fresh in a lot of people’s minds. I imagine that there’s still a fair bit of tension between humans and aliens maybe since it hasn’t really been too long since they moved in. And if these aliens in the lab really are up to no good, it won’t help to improve the relations and means Luna risks growing up accused of all sorts of awful things. Interesting touch that FTL travel isn’t a thing as well. I love when scifi stories take place during that sort of ‘gap’ between mass discoveries and events, when big things are just on the horizon.

    The little kitty is adorable! And Stuart asking her that warmed my heart /u\

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! Days feel like years to them (well, they literaly are...), and this weird family is definitively becoming more and more solid as the time passes!
      The older aliens remain a real mystery instead, they know a lot of fancy technology but they also seem so dangerous...

      Delete
  2. Aww, Taco is so cute! Looks like Meow has been a busy cat around the neighbourhood. And two toddlers at the same time is definitely a challenge, especially when one of them is an alien that was given against your will.

    Aw, Stuart and Silvia both deciding to propose like that is so wholesome. I hope she doesn’t actually say no now though, lol.

    ReplyDelete