Chapter 5.2: The first semester

 <-- Previous Chapter

From Cassy's diary


Venus: Hey, what do you think I could put in here, after the relativistic correction to the orbit of extrasolar planets?
Cassy: Uhm, I don't know, I was asked to write an essay on Sixam's atmosphere... but I think there are some useful books in the library, they have everything we could ever need over there!
Venus: The library, you say? Well, it could be interesting... 
Cassy: It's a quiet place, I really like studying there. We could also go there now, if you're curious!


Venus: (in a low voice) You were absolutely right, here in the library we can study so much better! I'll have to remember this, with soccer practice, classes and everything else it's a real grind to get everything done!
Cassy: I know you got the athletic scholarship, but don't you think that, maybe, the training could be a bit too m...
Venus:  And now let's write that essay!

Venus has always been the type of person who tries to fill every free moment in our day with something to do, but this tendency of hers here at the university is really reaching worrisome levels...



Classes, assignments, training and soccer matches, going out at night... Honestly, I don't know how she can still find any time to sleep at night.

Some time ago she also asked me to play together in the soccer team, to be teammates just like during our high school years. However, I had to tell her clearly that it would have been too much for me. After all, I came here to study and learn new things, if I have any free time left I should spend it improving my assignments and studying for my exams, right?

Given this difference of opinion about how to best use our time, Venus and I are spending more time apart than we ever have in our entire lives.

As you may have already guessed, dear diary, I often find myself in the library to study. And I'm also starting to make friends with some classmates.


Cassy: (in a low voice) While for the last part of the exercise it's enough to consider the momentum conservation principle, it's much easier than it seems!
???: (in a low voice) Yeah, that's right! I felt it was getting too complicated after the third page of calculations on potential energy!

His name, for example, is Steve, he studies physics like me. Unlike me and my sister, however, he's not particularly versed in anything concerning astrophysics and spaceships, and prefers to focus on circuits and mechanics instead.


Steve: How is the mechatronics essay going instead?
Cassy: I think I understood what mistake I was making, even according to the teacher now what I wrote seems right.
Steve: Great!

We soon found that we made a great study team, putting together what we know we can cover the bulk of this semester's program without too much effort. It's a super efficient way to study, isn't it?


From Venus's diary

After training, I rushed to the library, where I knew I'd find my sister. I still had so many assignments to finish, for sure some of her help would have been useful.


Venus: Hi Cassy, I'm sorry for being so late but the coach forgot to take a look at his watch and we finished our training half an hour later than usual.
Cassy: No problem, I figured that out. And we haven't finished studying the second chapter yet, so...

I realized only then that the other guy sitting at the table was studying with Cassy. The poor fellow seemed undecided about whether to introduce himself on his own or to wait for Cassy to do it for him, and he stared at me and at my sister unsure about what to do. I must have been really tired for not having noticed before, yet I still had so much to do that evening...
To try to make up for it, I then said to him:

Venus: Hi, I'm Venus, her twin sister, nice to meet you! Have we already met in class, by any chance?
Steve: (relieved) Steve, it's my pleasure!

Cassy: So Venus, what do you think you're going to do with that essay about...

I promised Cassy days earlier that we should have worked together on that project, but just at that moment the librarian started waving her arms, saying that closing time had arrived. That was so unfortunate, why did they have to close just when I managed to arrive?

Venus: ... maybe we should move to the bar in front of the library then.
Cassy: (resigned) Anyway it's 9 in the evening, we've probably studied enough for today...


Venus: So, any plans for the evening?
Cassy: No, no idea.
Steve: (Thinking) Upstairs there's a ping pong table, we could play some games.
Venus: Why not?


Cassy: Don't you think it's a bit of an idiotic game?
Venus: It's more difficult than it seems, you need good aim!

So I threw the first ball, hitting one of the juice glasses on the other side.


Steve: Cheers!
Cassy: It still seems like a stupid game to me, bah...

That evening we went home at around midnight, and only because classes were going to start early the next morning. Cassy went to sleep without a second thought, but I still had most of my homework to do...


University is a real grind, but I can't slack off already in the first semester!

-------------------------------------------------------------

From Cassy's diary

The semester proceeds calmly, without great news. Steve and I continue to study together after the lessons, now that summer is approaching we often sit on park benches instead of staying at the library. We are progressing well with the program, I'm sure we'll do well in the final exam.



Steve: Is Venus at training again?
Cassy: like every evening. But she wrote she's going to join us to do some homework.
Steve: Great. (Ironic) At least here the librarian shouldn't kick us out, right?


Venus: (Tired) Hi, how are you?
Steve: We're fine... How about you, instead? You look exhausted!
Venus: They made us run in a circle for hours today, I'm destroyed...
Cassy: Do you need any help with today's homework?
Venus: But...
Cassy: I didn't say I'll let you copy them, I just want to give you a hand. It's not like cheating this way, isn't it?
Steve: I can lend a hand too, if needed.
Venus: ... thank you, really.

We really studied a lot that night, making more and more difficult exercises to prepare in time to the exams. The first day of the exams session was just a few days away, after all.


That first exams week was exhausting. A part of us would have wanted just to sleep for days, while the other part was anxiously waiting for the results to be published. And, eventually...



... we probably didn't really have a reason to worry about it, don't you agree, my dear diary? C'mon, look at those marks, we are among the best students in our year! I'm very proud of the results we obtained, and I can't wait to replicate them in the next one!

1 comment:

  1. Both of them did excellently their first term! But Venus seems to have a really rough schedule, so I feel for her and hope she'll be okay. Getting back at midnight only to do homework... that's not good.

    ReplyDelete