Chapter 5.4: The second semester

 <-- Previous Chapter

From Cassy's diary


Steve: Erm, let's see...
Cassy: Are you alright? You seem a little... distracted.
Steve: What? No, what makes you think that?


Cassy: Well, for example, didn't you notice that you're giving me a perfect chance to say... Checkmate!



Steve: what the heck...

Cassy: Venus wrote to me saying that tonight's training isn't going to finish anytime soon, and that she can't join us to finish the assignments. Alright, we can at least start writing the essay for...
Steve: ... I'm sorry, but tonight I prefer to go back to the dormitory and study a little on my own. See you.

Having said that he said goodbye to me and left, he almost looks... sad. He's had that face for days, did something happen to him?

---------------------------------------------------------

From Venus' diary

Today I've remained at the soccer training until late, even if I'm already dead tired and I still have homework to do. It's not like I'm trying to avoid the others, but...


Venus: What... Steve? What are you doing here?


Steve: I'm sorry to bother you, but you haven't shown up for days... I mean, we are starting to worry about you.

Well, that's true, I haven't studied with Cassy and Steve since the beginning of the semester, half of the people at the campus must have noticed by now...

Steve: Also, I wanted to tell you that you can also forget about what I told you…um…last time, I obviously just screwed up… There's a lot to do this semester, and both Cassy and I would appreciate it if you come back to study with us, as before.

He sounded so sad as he spoke, I didn't know what to answer. In any case, I don't think the situation will go back to what it was last semester...
But I can't keep avoiding everyone like this either, can I?


Venus: ... tomorrow's training should be a little shorter, maybe this time I can join you in the library.
Steve: Great!
Venus: See you then.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

From Cassy's diary


Cassy: That robot back there isn't doing too well.
Steve: Judging by all those sparks, it looks like an overvoltage of the batteries... For sure the owner will have to spend a lot to find a replacement for that piece.
Cassy: True, the lithium shortage is a real drag.

At that moment I also noticed my sister rushing into the library, surprising many people who were no longer used to seeing her there.


Cassy: Hey, so you made it today!
Venus: Uh.
Cassy: So, what subject do you want to start from? We have to hand in the lab report in less than one weel, maybe we should start from that.
Steve: Um, okay.
Venus: Okay.

Both Venus and Steve usually are much more chatty than me, but out of the blue they started talking in monosyllables. I don't get it, they'd both been pretty weird since the beginning of the semester, to be honest.

Cassy: (perplexed) At least for the report, try to articulate a few complete sentences, though.

I don't get it, did something happen? I think I'll have to investigate a little...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

From Venus' diary

Classes this semester are really tough, before realising it I fell behind with studying, homework, assignments... Everything, in short.


Cassy: Are you okay, Venus? You've seemed terribly distracted for a while now, and exams are approaching!
Venus: Ahm...


Venus: I just have to finish this demonstration, then...
Cassy: Venus, what's going on?
Venus: I'm just a little tired, nothing serious.
Cassy: (not convinced) Uhm. I didn't want to go that far, but you forced me to!


Cassy: That...explains a lot.

Aunt Lyra had taught us mind reading years ago as a joke, and Cassy has always been much better at it than I am. So it didn't take long before she saw all that had happened and that we had kept hidden from her, as well as what was going through my head and worrying me so much at that moment.


Cassy: Oh my, I'm really bad at this stuff... I didn't realize Steve had a crush on you!

Cassy then shook her head, her expression somewhere between amused and exasperated. For sure she had clearly seen how I had repeated to myself for all those weeks that dating Steve would have been a bad idea, because then neither of us would have had time for her and she would have risked remaining alone. She knows how much I care about her, so at least she shouldn't be too surprised.

But what seemed to amuse her the most was my suspicion of what the relationship between her and Steve really was, because the first thing she added was:

Cassy: (amused) I assure you that Steve and I are friends and that's it. I mean, you saw that beard too, right?
Venus: ...
Cassy: So stop making excuses and do what you want to do for once, okay?
Venus: But...

Cassy: However, I think you should postpone all of this stuff until after the exams. There are only a few days to go and you still have so much to do! C'mon, let's go study!

Cassy is a little unpredictable at times, but she's a really good person. I don't know exactly what I'm going to do yet, but I already feel much more relieved than before. 

I mean, apart from the approaching exams part, about that I'm seriously starting to panic, I still have so much to study... I would probably be better to follow her and accept her help.


Cassy: So, who remembers the first postulate of quantum mechanics?
Venus: Erm, wait, I know I read it at some point...


That last week we studied like crazy, there wasn't any way we could worry about anything else. I also had to skip soccer training for days, something I'd never done before.


The final exam had been a real liberation, I was so tired that I didn't care about the final grades, but only about the fact that it was finally over.


Venus: Hey, what are you doing over there?


Cassy: Get ready, it's time for...


Cassy: A water balloon battle!
Venus: Ouch!


Cassy: I bet you can't catch me!
Venus: Are you challenging my aim?



Steve: (laughing) hey, it was Cassy's idea, not mine!


Venus: And now it's Cassy's turn!

It feels like it has been forever since the last time we had so much fun, I've really missed spending time with them like this.


But if on the one hand everything seemed to have returned to the way it was before, on the other hand I couldn't get a certain idea out of my head. So…


Venus: I think I still owe you that coffee, you know?

At first Steve seemed to have remained speechless, but soon enough he had answered me with a smile, saying:

Steve: Okay, whenever you want!


We talked all evening, without even really noticing how much time was passing.

Steve is the kind of person who gets easily overlooked, at first glance he may seem like one of the many students around the campus. But we just need to talk a little together to understand how he is funny, kind, sweet, intelligent... Okay, at this point I should probably stop denying that I've a crush for him.


Venus: It was fun, thanks for inviting me.
Steve: We should do it again sometime, if you want to.
Venus: Okay, that's fine for me!

Steve had still hesitated for a moment, uncertain about what to do, before looking straight into my eyes and...



Steve: Goodnight, then.
Venus: Goodnight to you too.

Well, surely this semester ended better than how it started...

No comments:

Post a Comment