Chapter 8.6: Certain things cannot be learnt from books

 <-- Previous chapter 

From Rowan's diary

Some weeks have passed since my last entry, and I'm very close to the end of my penultimate semester here in Britechester. I recently left the soccer team, admittedly quite reluctantly, so that I could focus on the rest. Mom and dad weren't entirely wrong, this way I have much more time to focus on what I like the most. Being able to study without having to constantly pay attention to how much time I have left is definitively way more satisfying, and I also hope that this way I'll be able to get a decent grade in the penal law exam too.

In short, I can't say I have anything to complain concerning my routine in the last few weeks. However, this Saturday I'll have to change my programs once again. The whole family received the invitation to this event months ago, and of course I'm expected to show up too.

Juno: (surprised) Oh, wow!
Rowan: (perplexed) "Wow" what?
Juno: It's just that, I mean... Well, that costume really suits you. 

To me that exchange seemed a bit weird, was that meant to be a compliment to those clothes? They were just so uncomfortable, if I could I would have changed into literally anything else.


Juno
By the way, why are you all dressed up?
Rowan: I'm going to Tech Sixam, it's my cousin's wedding day.
Juno: Really? How cool! Have fun then!
Rowan: Uh uh...

That's right, the wedding my cousin Riven announced in Sulani (aka the day all my family has been focusing on for the last six months at least), has come. 

As you probably already noticed, my dear diary, I'm not exactly enthusiastic about this ceremony. I mean, I know it's an important day for River and Not-very-chatty Rick, and I'm happy for them, but what's the point in focusing so much on the ceremony itself? 

Whatever, I certainly cannot say that I am in a position to decide whether to participate or not, and that all I can do is to tie my tie as best I can, and show off a convincing happy expression for the circumstances.



Rick: Well, everything seems in place. Are you ready?
River: (excited) Yes, very ready!




I followed the ceremony without saying much, judging by the disapproving glares my mother gave me I probably had a more bored expression on my face than I intended to let show.

Alba: Congratulations again River!
River: Thanks, aunt Alba!
Helios: I didn't expected to see you so emotional, Alba!
Alba: As if you didn't have any tears when they were exchanging their vows!

Everyone was so happy that afternoon, they couldn't stop dancing, toasting and congratulating the newly married couple.



I, on the other hand, spent quite a lot of time close to some wall, and with all that time to fill I ended up reflecting quite a lot. 

Who knows how River and Not-very-chatty Rick knew they were in love. I mean, I know all that stuff people always say about this topic, but, in practice, how does it actually work? People usually say things like: "When it will happen, you'll know!", but answers like that are way too vague for my tastes. 

Whatever it is, this day is really leaving me exhausted. All I want is to congratulate River one last time, say goodbye to everyone and go back to the dorm, that's what.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following week, students' common areas

We are just one week away from the third-semester finals, and I'm doing my best to remember that this is the last week I'll have to study penal law with this professor. My final grade for that class at this point is probably destined to be a B+ (B+, can you believe it, my dear diary?), my only consolation is that almost no one managed to do better in this course. 

It's not easy at all to forget about it, but at least I've something else to look forward to in the next semester. This is going to be our last semester, which means it's time to write our thesis! Choosing a topic I like (of course it will be about some environmental regulation, but which one?), and spend the whole semester researching information about it, is there anything better I could be asking for?


I also regret having left the soccer team less and less, like it or not it really took me too much time. Now, instead, I have all the time and energy I want to carry out my tasks and write my thesis. Finally, I'm enjoying studying again.

And the same goes for debates, now that I have time again to document my arguments before each meeting I feel much more confident, and the others have also noticed how difficult it is becoming to prove me wrong.


Rowan: By now the majority of nations in the world have begun to implement regulations aimed at reducing their impact on the climate and the environment, encouraging virtuous behaviour with subsidies and punishing those who are deemed guilty. The number of legal actions against companies that have exceeded the emissions limit in the last five years, in the Sim Nation alone, already amounts to 352, with a clear reduction with respect to the previous decades, which clearly indicates the dissuasive effect obtained by the aforementioned norms. In this regard, the…

Five minutes later...

???: That guy is just so weird! He sounds like a computer reading from a script, he should let us talk a bit too! And you, why are you laughing at me?

Juno: (laughing) Sorry, but you should have seen your face during the debate! 
???: (piqued) Do you at least know him?
Juno:  Enough to say that he's not "like a computer"! Actually, I think he's a very good guy.
???: Well, if you think it's that easy to debate against him, why don't you prove it?

She was around just because she didn't find a better place where to study. However, even if she didn't plan to debate at all, she turned to me as if to ask me what I thought. 
Usually people who aren't officially part of this group don't participate in debates, but why not? She seemed amused by the situation already, this could actually be fun.


Juno: Well, for starters, I study economics, so I'll probably be speaking from a slightly different point of view than the rest of you. So, I think the biggest contribution I could give you tonight is to add some other data. You see, I was just graphing the evolution of GDP values ​​for various countries over time as their green policies advance, and a couple of interesting trends immediately stood out. First...

The members of the debate club almost all study literature, history, philosophy, or law like me. Her register could therefore only stand out compared to ours, it was much more practical and direct. While her style may have been a little less elegant than the one we tried so hard to maintain, she had such a straightforward approach that it was difficult to argue in any way.
Luckily for me, I already knew the data that she was exposing with such clarity, they were the same as in her thesis outline that she read to me yesterday.

Rowan: Your arguments are undoubtedly compelling, but...

I don't think Juno fully realized it, but the rest of the debate club was quite impressed by her arguments, they certainly didn't expect that some outsider could do so well on her first attempt. The more time passes, the more I think that many of them should come down a bit from the pedestal they have built for themselves over time.


Once the debate was over, still laughing a little thinking about the faces of the other debate club members, we then went to finish our homework for the day. That's another thing that changed a bit since when I dropped the soccer team, now I meet her way more often at the dorm or in some other corner of the campus. We're also chatting way more than before, it's actually quite nice.


Juno: By the way, how did your cousin's wedding go? His name is River, right?
Rowan: Yes. I think it went well, from what I understand, at least.
Juno: Great, I'm really happy for them! Next time you see your cousin, can you congratulate him on my behalf too? I wanted to ask you the other day, but when I remembered you had already left…
Rowan: Um… Yes, I suppose I can do that, no problem.


Rowan: Rather, how are your doing with your assignments?
Juno: Not bad. I should finish in half an hour, an hour at most. Then, as soon as I finish, I reach Francis at the pub, you know how it is...

I don't know why, but I had the impression that she didn't look as enthusiastic as usual, for some reason. Who knows, maybe he was just bored doing that homework.
I was about to open mye notebook too, when Juno interrupted me again to say:


Juno: Listen, but since you're a guy too, couldn't you help me understand a little what's going through Francis's head?
Rowan: (surprised) What? Me? I don't think it's a good idea, I'm not good with...

But she didn't even seem to be seriously listening to me, and continued to talk as if I hadn't said anything. In hindsight, she probably just wanted to vent out a bit.

Juno: You see, Francis is about to graduate from his Master's, and then he will return to New Sixam. He keeps telling me that he can't wait to go back there with me, and work together in his parents' shop. His father had promised to leave it to him when he graduated, and when we were still in high school we made so many plans about that moment, we just couldn't wait for it, you see?
Rowan: …
Juno: But in the meantime so much time has passed, and I'm not so sure I still want that future. There are so many other possibilities, why should I ignore them all and go work in a shop on the outskirts of New Sixam all my life? I really don't like the idea anymore, that's what. But he seems to care so much, and so every time we talk about it we end up arguing…


Juno: But what do you think, Rowan?


I thought about it for a moment, keeping wondering why she decided to ask me that question. I don't really think I can give any real advice to anyone about relationships, but I couldn't hold back either. Every time she names Francis I'm a bit angrier at him, and I'm also more convinced that she deserves way better. So I said:

Rowan: I don't have anything against retailers, but I honestly think that it would be a waste for someone like you to work in a small shop. Especially if it's not what you really want to do.

Juno's eyes widened, that answer seemed to have left her stunned. She kept underestimating herself, that's what.

Juno: Are you serious?
Rowan: Well, yes. Think about it, in all these years you have always studied the effects of environmental policies on economics, with what you know you could work in some large company to help them make their ecological transition as economically sustainable as possible. And this is just one example, with a economics degree from this university you could do so many things, and in so many different parts of the world.

That was one of the few times I saw Juno remain speechless, I don't really know what she was thinking while she left to join Francis at the noisy pub. 

I shook my head slightly, before going back to my assignment. I've known her for a while now, even if she always says goodbye with a pretty smile on her face I think I can tell when she isn't really happy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
A few weeks later, after finishing the third-semester exams...


Juno: Listen, Rowan, would you like to go for a ride together this evening? We could go biking somewhere, or something like that.
Rowan: Why not, I've finished my assignments for today.
Juno: Great!


Since when Francis graduated from his Master's and returned back to New Sixam, we're spending time together even more often than ever before. She is never mentioning him though, did they argue, by chance? I don't think that would be surprising, all things considered. 



It was a funny ride, and even if we had to raise our voices quite a lot to hear each other we talked and joked quite a lot along the way. 

I don't know exactly why she wants to spend so much time with me, but I'm quite glad she does. 

Over the years I had never really thought to be alone. With classmates, the scout group or the soccer team I was always surrounded by people, I talked and played with them, and I thought that friendship was like that.
But with Juno it was very different, even if I don't know exactly how to describe it. It was a type of relationship that I had never experienced outside of my family, I guess she's the first person I can truly call a friend.

In those last days, however, even I was able to notice how she seemed thoughtful, or even sad maybe, mulling over something I couldn't quite identify. I knew I should have said something, maybe tried to help her. And I was also mad at myself, because I absolutely didn't know where to start from.


Rowan: (awkwardly) Juno, did something happen by any chance? You seem… upset or something.
Juno: You don't need to worry for me, really. I've just had a lot on my mind lately.
Rowan: … Does Francis have anything to do with it?
Juno: (thoughtfully) Well, among other things... It all seems a bit messy to me right now, but I think I just need some time to figure it out.


Juno: In any case, thanks a lot, Rowan.
Rowan: (confused) For what?
Juno: Because you're always so kind to me. And then, I mean...
Rowan: ...

The more she talked the less I could understand what she meant, that night she seemed more cryptic than ever. Where did he want to go with this?

Rowan: (confused) If you want to say something, couldn't you just go straight to the point?
Juno: W-what? Are you sure?
Rowan(nods)

I was more confused than ever, what was the deal? And why was she... blushing?


Juno: W-well, I...



Juno immediately started to speak, as usual, but I couldn't even grasp what she was telling me, much less answer her. There were just two clear thoughts in my mind at that moment, namely:

"What the heck just happened?"

Quickly followed by:

"I really didn’t understand a single thing."

----------------------------------------------------------------
§HermioneSims§ corner

How evident is it that, once again, I had to speed up a bit the legacy to remain within the allocated time for this part? 

In the next chapter I clearly will have to explain quite a lot of things, 'but that is another story and shall be told another time.'

For the moment, I want to borrow an online meme which was quite popular around the time I originally wrote this chapter at my place, and that is also quite fitting for the ending of this chapter:


2 comments:

  1. My reaction to the end of this chapter wasn't shock, but glee. 😍😁 I hope that's the end of Juno's relationship with Francis. At the same time, though, I'm not sure that Rowan likes Juno in the same way that she seems to care about him. I don't want him to feel forced into a romantic relationship with her (but he does seem closer to her than he is to anyone else and he does call her his first friend so I'm hoping for a sweet relationship for both of them).

    Also, congratulations to Rick and River. I loved the images of everyone partying. They look so joyous (except Rowan, but that’s okay - he seemed fine too even if he wasn't having as much fun as everyone else).

    Juno's very thoughtful, so I think she'd make a great debater and that seems to be the case. Rowan amused me when he thought, "The more time passes, the more I think that many of them should come down a bit from the pedestal they have built for themselves over time." I know he didn't necessarily mean himself, but this definitely applied to him too. I still remember his thoughts when he assumed she’d feel honored to talk to a high-achieving student like him. 😭🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for the comment!

      Actually, when I posted this legacy the first time in Italian, at that last scene most of the people who read it back then were like: "Oh, finally!" Also, they were very vocal about wanting Rowan falling for Juno since the first time she showed up XD Still, it definitively remains to be seen what happens from the next chapter and forward, Rowan's reactions can really be unpredictable sometimes...

      The wedding was very fun also for me, that sci-fi setting was definitively something different... Also, to me River is the cutie in this generation, so I'm always taking nice pictures of him whenever I can.

      And also for the final comment you're definitively right, those two phrases are quite ironic when put one next to the other XD More than one year has passed in between those two scenes though, so maybe (or, hopefully...) he's growing a bit too.

      Delete